BR200 WAN Interface and Tagged VLAN

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
Hi There!

Where i live in New Zealand, our fibre connections are generally delivered by a ethernet from media converter and more specifically, tagged traffic over vlan 10 and generally dhcp with a PPPOE used for authentication. 

Now I am trying to find out if we can configure the WAN port on the BR200 to do tagged Vlan traffic on the WAN port? And where to set the PPPOE user creds.

I was talking to one of our Aerohive guru's at work and he said it maybe possible on the command line. But I thought I would ask here first before digging... 

Cheers
Andy
Photo of Andy Denley

Andy Denley

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Bill W.

Bill W.

• 222 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes

To setup the PPPoE user credentials, go to Configuration->Advanced Configuration->Common Objects->PPPoE.  There you can create a new PPPoE profile.

You can do this in advance, or when configuring the router.  When configuring the router, when you change the Eth0 Connection Type to PPPoE, you will be given the option to set the PPPoE Authentication Profile.  If you don't already have one, you can create one from there, which takes you to the above location.

As far as the VLAN tagging, you set that in the network policy that is applied to the router.

Photo of Andy Denley

Andy Denley

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Bill, thanks for the reply.

The only thing is that I cannot see any Vlan Tagging for the WAN (Eth0) interface under network policies. 

The only way I can see to modify WAN interface is from monitoring -> Select the BR200 then click "Modify"

And there is no option to set the VLAN on this interface. 
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Andy,
Our assumption was that users would only extremely rarely need to specify the VLAN for the WAN interface, and that at most you only need to specify the native-VLAN on the upstream switch port, so we did not burden the GUI with this normally-unneeded complexity.

I think the specific command you wish to use is "interface eth0 native-vlan X" where I assume eth0 is your WAN port and X can range between 1 and 4094.
Photo of Bill W.

Bill W.

• 222 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
This section of your network policy is where you will set the tag for the WAN interface.

The screenshot you have is where you would set the PPPoE profile.
Photo of Bryan Adams

Bryan Adams

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Can anyone in New Zealand verify if they have been able to use the "interface eth0 native-vlan X" CLI method to have a BR200-WP as the ONLY/primary router on a recently-provisioned NZ UFB connection?

Specifically, I am interested in Vodafone NZ UFB connections (new style), where they do not actually require PPPoE authentication. To avoid confusion for any fellow NZers, VF-NZ connections of both VDSL and UFB flavour USED TO require PPPoE authentication, but more recent connections do not seem to.
I am trying to test this theory with other brands of router eg Draytek.

The VF-NZ supplied modem/routers are Huawei HG659 units and if you look at the config, they have WAN port set to DHCP client mode, VLANID=10 tagged, and NO PPPoE credentials specified. It almost seems as if there is no authentication whatsoever.

My testing efforts with a BR200-WP and VF-NZ UFB connection have been hampered due to a lack of a UFB connection :D
For some reason, when people get a new UFB connection they want to use it asap and don't want to wait for me to do some tinkering :rolleyes...

@Mike - this setup is now standard in NZ, so is there any chance that Aerohive would consider burdening the GUI with this normally-unneeded complexity? ;-)
Cheers,
Bryan