BR100 only able to use 4 SSID

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
Hi All.

If I go to "Configuration", "Routers" and pick a BR100.
I can then configure which SSID I want on that unit.
Done that.
Great.
But if I go to "Monitor" "Routers" and pick a BR100.
Scroll down to "Radio details" I see 4 SSID's
I suppose that's the SSID's the the BR100 it is possible to use.
It is the first 4 SSID's mentioned in my Network policy.
I have 7 SSID's in the Network policy.
And the first 4 is NOT the one's I want.
So whatever I chose in the config of a BR100, I can never get the one's i want.

A BR200 has all 7, so no problem.
(or any AP)

Is there any way I can control which 4 SSID's is possible in BR100?
Other than making more network policies. :)
Photo of Flemming Veggerby

Flemming Veggerby

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Interesting edge case issue! :)

Taking a step back for a moment...

Running with 7 SSIDs is considered bad practice due to the air time that is consumed beaconing for each of the SSIDs, especially if the lowest mandatory data rate is left at 1 Mb/s.

Take a look at: http://www.revolutionwifi.net/revolutionwifi/p/ssid-overhead-calculator.html

The only legitimate use case for having that number is for legacy, backwards compatibility purposes. It should always be a transient, temporary configuration with plans in place to reduce the number in the future.

Are you therefore able to rationalise and consolidate the number of SSIDs to workaround this?

I do not believe that you can control the subset that is projected. I honestly doubt that this edge case issue was considered during the design. Running with that number of SSIDs is atypical and nearly always a suboptimal deployment choice so it likely would never have come up.
(Edited)
Photo of Roberto Casula

Roberto Casula, Champ

• 231 Posts
  • 111 Reply Likes
I think you'll have to clone the policy and specify explicitly in the policy the four SSIDs you want the BR100 to advertise. While it does seem like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, there are quite a few scenarios where this is the only option, even though you only want a small difference in configuration. As most elements of the configuration are configured using objects, having multiple policies generally doesn't cause too many headaches (if you change an object, it will change in all the policies that reference that object).

I would also strongly advise you to heed Nick's warning above! From what you've described, you may have seven SSIDs in total but are selectively disabling them on APs and BRs (so there are fewer defined on any given device) - but if you are advertising all seven from a single device, you do need to be really careful of the airtime used for management frames (the overhead calculator in Nick's link is a great tool that I've been using for a long time). Increasing the data rate used for management frames will help, but only to a degree.
Photo of Flemming Veggerby

Flemming Veggerby

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you both.

The goal is in fact to reduce the number of SSID's
I have 1 mandatory
3 SSID's for 3 different lokations.
some test/playing with selfregistration and mdm
And the new one, that should replace the 3.

But I need them all (5) for testing first, and next during the transition.

So I guess I need to make several network policies for this to happen.

Thanks.

(glad you called me an edge case, and not a borderline case) :)