Bandsteering on the client?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Beyond the band steering in he AP, is there a way to force a Windows 7 or Windows 8 client to use the A radio over the B radio?

Thanks,
Photo of jacob600

jacob600

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Roberto Casula

Roberto Casula, Champ

• 231 Posts
  • 111 Reply Likes
This will depend on your wireless hardware and drivers. Some drivers have a setting under the Advanced Properties (Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections -> Right-Click the Wireless Adapter and click Properties then click on the Configure button -> Advanced tab).

For example, most dual-radio Intel Centrino chipset drivers have a setting called "Preferred Band" which defaults to 2.4GHz. You can set this to 5GHz. Other drivers have a similar setting (though it may be called something different), but many others do not have this option.

Note also that all this does in most cases is bias the algorithm that selects which radio to use in favour of one or the other - the client may still decide to use the other radio if there is a signficant benefit in doing so.

Your mileage with this may vary depending on your environment and driver version etc., but the latest Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 drivers I am using seem to work pretty well with the "prefer 5GHz" option enabled for me.
Photo of jacob600

jacob600

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you sir. I do not see this option on my ASUS Transformer T100 with a Broadcom chipset but at least I know to look for it now.

Thank you,