Are AP120's supported on update 8.2r1?

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • (Edited)
Getting the prompt to update to 8.2r1, and we currently have several APs in use (120, 121, 170, 350, 1130) and I know AP120 are being replaced with 121s (we are slowly replacing them).  Will I have any issues with my AP120's if I update my hivemanager to 8.2r1?
Photo of Daniel Muse

Daniel Muse

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • unsure

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Hi Daniel,

The AP120 and AP121 have been replaced with the AP122.

Yes, you can update your HiveManager to 8.2r1 and use HiveOS 6.5r8b on your APs.

Regards,

Nick
Photo of Daniel Muse

Daniel Muse

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks!
Photo of Crowdie

Crowdie, Champ

• 972 Posts
  • 272 Reply Likes
I have a number of sites still running AP121 access points and we carefully monitor their CPU and memory utilisation during peak usage times.  A number have had to be replaced with AP130 access points as they stopped or intermittently stopped accepting connections due to excessive high CPU and/or memory utilisation.
(Edited)
Photo of Carsten Buchenau

Carsten Buchenau, Champ

• 356 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
Crowdie, I am curious... What have you configured in your environment that might cause the high CPU utilization on AP121? PPSK, Application visibility, QoS, Firewall rules, ... ? Are you distributing the roaming cache within the whole AP management subnet (and how many APs are there), or have you changed to distribute it to Wifi-neighbours only? Anything else?

carsten
Photo of Crowdie

Crowdie, Champ

• 972 Posts
  • 272 Reply Likes
We did the following:
  • Reduced the 5 GHz channel width from 40 to 20 MHz.
  • Reduced the transmit powers on both the 2.4 and 5 GHz radios.
  • Reduced the number of firewall rules.
  • In the remaining firewall rules we minimised the number of application rules above network rules.

We are slowly replacing the AP121s with AP130s.
Photo of Carsten Buchenau

Carsten Buchenau, Champ

• 356 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
Thanks Crowdie. So you did make use of more "advanced" features such as firewalling and application filtering/monitoring. That makes sense then to prefer AP130 over AP121.

We have many schools out there with mostly AP121. The first 2 points we usually do anyway, and then in most cases no firewall rules are used (or if, very basic). So far this kind of setup (10 - 80 APs max) still seems to work with AP121.
Photo of Crowdie

Crowdie, Champ

• 972 Posts
  • 272 Reply Likes
We didn't have any issues until we hit the later 6.x firmware versions.  We had around three months of extremely poor performance as we worked closely with Aerohive TAC and new firmware versions were released.  Unfortunately the issues reported by the end users changed each firmware upgrade so we seemed to be taking one step forward and two steps backwards.  This was finally resolved in the 6.5r4 firmware.
Photo of Crowdie

Crowdie, Champ

• 972 Posts
  • 272 Reply Likes
One of the issues that caused major issues was the "disappearing BSSIDs" issue.  The AP121s would intermittently stop broadcasting the BSSIDs for 30 to 60 seconds, which caused clients to reassociate to non-optimal access points or, worst case, disconnect.  When we did repetitive site surveys across the same floor we would get coverage holes in different areas of the floor.