apple devices lose connection to aerohive ap370's when connecting to the itunes store.

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
We have rolled out a new aerohive wireless network with a mix of 330 and 370 devices.  We have had a lot of problems with the system and have addressed them one at a time.  We are making good progress but one issue that lingers is the that apple devices disconnect from the wireless system.  The disconnections are random.  We can reliably disconnect an apple device from the aerohive wireless when we try to connect to itunes store.  We had an epic fail when we tried to make some skype calls.  Does anything jump out at you?  
Photo of Diane Arsenault

Diane Arsenault

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Diane, are these iOS or OSX devices from Apple, or both? Does this problem occur on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands? Does the disconnect occur regardless of whether the clients are attached to the 330s or the 370s?
Photo of Diane Arsenault

Diane Arsenault

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Both device types.  Works fine with AP330's, no problem.  AP370's  on 2.4 and 5.0 channels work inconsistantly, or not at all and AP370's on 5.0 don't work at all---with iOS and OSX.  
Photo of Ryan_w

Ryan_w

• 40 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Diane,  did you all ever find a solution for your AP370 issues?  We put our issues on hold for a while and are just now starting to work on them again?  Thanks
Photo of Crowdie

Crowdie, Champ

• 972 Posts
  • 272 Reply Likes
Have you enabled 802.11k and 802.11r on the SSID the Apple devices are connecting to?  It is worth noting that enabling 802.11k and 802.11r on an SSID makes that SSID inaccessible to wireless clients that don't support 802.11k and 802.11r so you may want to make another SSID to test this on.
Photo of Ryan_w

Ryan_w

• 40 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Crowdie, I just checked and we are not using either one of those settings.  

I did a little bit of testing yesterday and updated our AP370s to the latest HiveOS 6.0r2e firmware, but it seems our troubles still exist.  The problem I see the most is the devices (Mac Book Air's) connect to the SSID just fine and then can ping, but DNS queries never make it back to the device.  This only happens when connecting through an AP370.  At this point I am not sure if it is just affecting our Apple Devices.  I am going to order a couple of AC USB wifi cards to see if they have the same issue and open a new case with support.
Photo of Ryan_w

Ryan_w

• 40 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Support was able to get our problem fixed!  It ended up being a problem with QOS where somehow we had a controlled load setup for DHCP and DNS which was causing a problem with the AP370s in our environment.
Photo of Diane Arsenault

Diane Arsenault

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
That is really fantastic.  I am not sure I fully understand the fix.  Thanks for posting. I am going to share this with my teammates. 
Photo of Ryan_w

Ryan_w

• 40 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Good luck, hopefully it will be something similar for you all.  If you all are using QOS check your "Classifier Maps" under Configuration > QOS Policies > Classifier Maps.  Then look for DHCP and DNS.  We just removed them from the list of services.  I believe they were automatically setup with our QOS when we setup QOS to try and prioritize Apple TV Airplay traffic.