Apple devices and AP230's (802.11ac issue?)

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
I have an issue with apple devices and my new AP230's. I have an office with four AP's. One AP110, one AP330, and the two AP230's.
When a macbook attempts to connect when in the areas covered by the 230's they get the self assigned 169.x.x.x IP. When I walk over to areas covered by my older AP's they will connect.
Is this a ac vs. b/g/n issue? Are my macs hardware throwing a fit?
Photo of Status Solutions Engineering

Status Solutions Engineering

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of J. Goodnough

J. Goodnough, Champ

• 266 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Do the new 230s have the proper VLANs configured? Clearly, the macbooks aren't able to talk to the DHCP server. Have you run the client monitor and/or a packet capture? That should provide you with some useful information.
Photo of Terence Fleming ThinkWireless

Terence Fleming ThinkWireless, Champ

• 79 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Certainly sounds like a DHCP issue.  Client Monitor can help you to confirm this.

Also, there is a great Tool (in the Tools Menu) in the Hive Manager called the VLAN probe.  If you select one of the AP230s, you can initiate a probe on any VLAN FROM THAT AP.  That way you can tell if there is a clear path from that AP to the DHCP server that is servicing the VLAN you are probing on.  

I have had the "good" fortune many times of having to use this tool to prove an incorrect switch configuration.    :-)

P.S. You could alternatively apply an 802.11n Radio Profile to your AP230s, to eliminate the ac side of things