Apple 500 internal server error

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Answered
I have a guest wifi set up with a captave portal for users to accept an AUP. When users with any apple product they get an 500 Internal Server error. Now any other users not using an apple device can connect to my guest wifi just fine.

I'm very confused on why it would be happening with just apple devices.

As a side note. If I add the user to the main wifi network no error occurs. Just happens when having to go to a captive portal.
Photo of Justin Merwin

Justin Merwin

• 18 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
That's very weird. Do your Apple users ever see the CWP at all? And this applies to both iOS and OSX users? What version of HiveOS are you using, and are you using the stock AUP pages or did you modify them?
Photo of Justin Merwin

Justin Merwin

• 18 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm using the stock pages.

I've had it happen to IOS and OSX. Not they never see the CWP page.
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Justin,
My advice would be to contact your reseller or Aerohive technical support - I think you're going to need to do some packet captures and examination of your HiveOS configuration to figure out exactly where this is breaking down.

My first thought was to suggest you remove the AUP and it's associated Open SSID entirely and recreate them, but I don't really expect that to improve the situation.

The error you are getting implies something is wrong with the embedded web server that offers up the AUP pages, but as you said your Windows clients aren't experiencing that.

Do you have any client classification rules in place? Should all users be seeing the same AUP pages, or have you provisioned different ones for different user communities?

Please do update this thread once you've gathered more info and/or resolved the problem -- you've piqued my interest.
Photo of Kurt Clifford

Kurt Clifford

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hey, does anyone have any updates on this? We've got this in our large deployment of AP370's and AP121's.
Photo of Joep van den Heuvel

Joep van den Heuvel

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Same error here on 1 AP. Only on Guest SSID with captive portal.
Photo of Eric

Eric

• 15 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
We had a captive portal setup, similar to what you described. We are a one-to-one system, all Mac, and several users would use the guest. We had issues on iPad, using Safari, but once they cleared their cache it was ok.

Are you using a custom portal? I will check my notes and see if there is anything that can help.
Photo of Joep van den Heuvel

Joep van den Heuvel

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I do not use a custom portal (Except for a custom logo). And problems are still there. 
My setup:

Guest SSID
Use captive web-portal with policy acceptance

It is an WiFi only network, with every access-point serving as an DHCP-server in WiFi-only VLAN999
Clients get an IP 10.255.248.0/23
The clients is leaving the AP with NAT applied, so the AP's IP is used to communicate into the LAN.
Firewall rule, blocks traffic to the known RFC1918 addresses. See below.

I played with several settings. For redirection, time to wait for the success page etc. but no result.
Clients sometimes keep receiving this internal server error, also on android and windows systems.

I can work around this error (day by day) doing the following actions:
1. Configuration – select all AP’s – Update – Advanced – Remove Captive Web Page Directory
2. Configuration – select all AP’s – Update Devices – Update

But next day problem is back. Not on every client, not always.. but it happens... I'm out of solutions. 
I'm thinking about building an Guest VLAN and disable NAT, or about disabling the captive webportal completely. But because of the way this company works, it's a long process of adding an guest VLAN on the 'managed LAN' and defining firewall policy's / rules on the central internet break-out and 'managed Firewall'. 

Are there others who use NAT from the AP, and the internal DHCP on every AP enabled?
Photo of Jonas Dekkers

Jonas Dekkers

• 152 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Same problem here. Is there any fix?
Photo of Sylvia Makoma Leseka

Sylvia Makoma Leseka

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
same problem here, any fix? did clear the cache  but still get an error only on my ipad.