AP 370 stuck on amber light

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Hi,

I have AP370s as a trial.
Two of them work perfectly, but one is stuck on the amber light. It seems to me, that this AP is not conneting to my HMOL account, no CAPWAP connection.
I think I can rule out network issues, as the other two APs can be updated in HMOL and work just fine. On the same network ports, the third one does not connect.
It does not seem to request an IP from my DHCP, which the other two do.
I tried resetting using the reset pin hole about 10 secs several times, as well as rebooting.

What would be the next steps to bring this AP up to life?
Photo of Andreas Schenk

Andreas Schenk

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Brian Powers

Brian Powers, Champ

• 396 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Have you confirmed that the device is not pulling an IP by looking through your DHCP server for the specific MAC address of this device?

If you have a console cable and can get into the CLI of the AP, you can issue a - show capwap client - and it will show you the state of the capwap connection as well as the Client IP and the Server (HMOL hopefully) IP.  If these are blank, you can try assigning a static IP from here by issuing the following

no int mgt0 dhcp client
int mgt0 ip <ip_addr> <subnet mask>
ip route default gateway <ip_addr>
dns server <ip_addr>
save config

I think that is all the commands needed to statically assign an IP and get it to come up.

If the AP wasnt added to any redirector/provisioning server to automatically join your HMOL, you may need to do that.  If you need to do this, try following the information here, https://community.aerohive.com/aerohive/topics/lost_contact_to_capwap_after_firmware_update.

Here is a link to the AP370 CLI guide. http://www.aerohive.com/330000/docs/help/english/documentation/cli_guide370-390_6-0r2d.htm

(Edited)
Photo of Andreas Schenk

Andreas Schenk

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for your comments & help, Brian.
I do not see this AP in the DHCP logs. Unplugging and replugging should show a DHCP discover afaik, but it does not.
Unfortunatley I have no console access - I am on a Mac and dont have a USB-Serial Adapter at hand.

The device is already connected to my hive - I can see its serial number in the "unmanaged devices" tab in HMOL.
Photo of Stefan van der Wal

Stefan van der Wal, Champ

• 70 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Hi Andreas,

This sounds like a dead AP. This can only be confirmed with console access. Usually when an AP does not do a discover for DHCP it hangs in its earlier stages. I'm afraid that without console access this one's going to be difficult.

Kind regards,

Stefan van der Wal
Photo of Andrew Garcia

Andrew Garcia, Official Rep

• 368 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
Try doing a factory reset on the AP, just in case.  There is a small pin hole near the Ethernet ports.  Hold the ping down for 5-7 seconds, and the AP will reboot to default configuration.