AP 330/350 mounts

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
I am getting ready to do a warehouse deployment with AP350s. I have been using AP330s in the office on the T-Bar clips no problem. I am trying to figure out how to use the 3rd mount that has the holes in it. They don't match up with any electrical box that I can find. Need to know what to use it on so it can mount it to the steel roof structure.
Photo of Andy Cannarella

Andy Cannarella

• 31 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Adam Conway

Adam Conway

• 101 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
Hi Andy,
In the past I have used beamclamps. I found them in the hardware section of home depot. Try this:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v...

Alternatively we sell a suspended ceiling mount which has the advantage of bringing the AP down a meter or so below the ceiling which dramatically improves the WiFi performance, but you would still use a beam clamp to connect with the cable.
Photo of Andy Cannarella

Andy Cannarella

• 31 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Adam,

I have used those on AP340s in other warehouses with out any problem. With the new mount design it is plastic and the holes would need to be enlarged for the 1/4" bolt and then champhered to allow the mount to lie flat on the AP.

My other option is a 1'x1' plywood attached to the under side of the structure and then wood screws into this mount. Was trying to keep it simple.
Photo of Adam Conway

Adam Conway

• 101 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
Hi Andy,
It is a brave new world where we meet on the forum rather than in person.

The suspend mounts have an offset mount more similar to the old 340 bracket where you would have room for a 1/4-20 bolt head on the other side. You may want to look at the docs for the suspend mount to get an image of it.

By the way, you will be pleased... i just installed your lights all over my house. So now I am not only a vendor, I am a customer.
Photo of Andy Cannarella

Andy Cannarella

• 31 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Adam, well have Jess bring you back out when you are back in town. We enjoy meeting with you. Hopefully I will have a full install by then.
Photo of Andy Cannarella

Andy Cannarella

• 31 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Adam, can you post up a picture of the suspension mount? Having trouble finding it online.
Photo of Bradley Chambers

Bradley Chambers, Champ

• 302 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
And conversation like this is why HiveNation rocks! :)
Photo of Adam Conway

Adam Conway

• 101 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
Here you are sir... Hopefully I will have a full install too (of lighting that is)

Photo of Adam Conway

Adam Conway

• 101 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
Bradley, i have the advantage (maybe disadvantage?) of being asked these questions every day - I am just glad to have HiveNation where everyone can benefit. Cheers.
Photo of Andy Cannarella

Andy Cannarella

• 31 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Perfect! Thanks Adam.
Photo of Shail Talati

Shail Talati

• 17 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Andy - please find full installation guide.

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Aerohi...
Photo of Eric  Garnel

Eric Garnel

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
You could also use a chandelier bracket/cross-strap that can mate the mount to an electrical box. We use the cross-straps to mount the AP brackets to stands for temporary event networks
Photo of Eric  Garnel

Eric Garnel

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

One of these things
Photo of Adam Conway

Adam Conway

• 101 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
That is pretty cool. Good idea.
Photo of Andy Cannarella

Andy Cannarella

• 31 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am just wondering what hole pattern those match up with. It has to be based on something.
Photo of Eric  Garnel

Eric Garnel

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It should match up to a standard box. The holes next to the slots are threaded as well. flat screws (countersunk) work well with the Aerohive bracket without any modification
Photo of Andy Cannarella

Andy Cannarella

• 31 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have gone to HD and back to our maintenance guys who are electricians to look at metal boxes and don't see one that matches. It is close to a switch hole patter but it a little too long. I am going to mound 1'x1' plywood parallel to the floor and then use #6 wood screws to mount the bracket.
Photo of Adam Conway

Adam Conway

• 101 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
Andy, the part he has is designed to screw in to an octagonal ceiling electrical box then you screw the chandelier chain to it.
Photo of Eric  Garnel

Eric Garnel

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
You can get creative with it. Two straps and a threaded length of metal (all-thread) can also provide the ability to change the height of the AP

Box+strap connected to section of all-thread+strap+AP bracket.

If you wanted to get stylish, dress the all-thread with a shower pole cover.
Photo of Andy Cannarella

Andy Cannarella

• 31 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I hear ya, I am just wondering who designed the bracket and what they were using as a template. I am sure I will come up with a solution that works. I am now just pulled in trying to figure out what those hole would mount up to without having to modify anything. There has to be something. My OCD has the best of me. :-)
Photo of Peter True

Peter True

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am with Andy. I am currently undertaking a large deployment where each situation will be different (drywall, stucco, cement). Given the design i am very limited as to the hardware and "getting creative" each time we install will cost money in time and materials.
Photo of Loren

Loren

• 48 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
We have the cable installer mount a board that they can mount the drop on that is big enough to mount the AP.
Photo of Andy Cannarella

Andy Cannarella

• 31 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Lauren, I am thinking of doing the same thing. Some contrasting high vis color so they will be easy to find in the ceiling. BTW, how do you have such a clean ceiling? I get near mine in a scissor lift and I have dust and cobwebs all over me... LOL
Photo of Andrew Stewart

Andrew Stewart

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Can someone point me to the full suspend mount guide (for the 350s)? The dropbox link that Shail posted is dead, and I can't find it on the Aerohive site.