AP 120 not getting DHCP

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Hi,

We have a small pile (around 10 now) of AP120's that don't get DHCP. We have tried resetting them by holding down the reset button, but the points aren't getting a DHCP lease, let alone checking into our Virtual Hive manager for further config. 

Given there's no local console like on the 330 and 370, is there anything else I can try to bring these back to life, or should I be getting onto our support provider to get them replaced?

Thanks
Photo of Daniel Kelly

Daniel Kelly

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Carsten Buchenau

Carsten Buchenau, Champ

• 356 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
Hi Daniel,
Sorry to ask this, but you checked your DHCP server's leases table, and the APs do not show up with their MAC address?
What is the colour of their LED?
Photo of Daniel Kelly

Daniel Kelly

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi,

Unfortunately nothiing in the DCHP logs/tables, and the light on the AP stays blue.
Photo of Andrew MacTaggart

Andrew MacTaggart, Champ

• 483 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
I have never work with the AP120, but the AP170 does not have a console port, but can be accessed by virtual console via SSID using mac address.

also worth noting

http://www.revolutionwifi.net/2011/03/aerohive-hiveap-provisioning-basics.html

Carsten Buchenau, Champ

• 356 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
Hmmm... So blue means it does not get IP connectivity. Sounds like a layer 2 issue to me...

Did you verify the vlan configuration on the switch?

What happens when you connect a laptop to the same pirt you currently have an AP connected, are you receiving an IP?

What happens when you connect the AP to a switch port which is know to be working with a different AP?
Photo of Daniel Kelly

Daniel Kelly

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm 99% sure on the vlan configuration - If I reset a known working 120 using the same cable, it comes up fine, and have configured a couple of 330 and 370 on it today too. I've also tried it on another vlan, no joy there either.

I will however look into the SSID Mac address idea when I'm back in the office on Tuesday.
Photo of Andrew MacTaggart

Andrew MacTaggart, Champ

• 483 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
when you default Aerohive APs the management vlan should be 1 and native vlan should be 1. I have not worked with AP120, but I would assume it follows the rest.

so on your switch you would most likely want a trunk port with vlan 1 as native vlan, and dhcp server serving addresses to vlan 1. Once discovered you can push config to change the management and native vlan as wanted, but you will need to change you switchport after config is pushed.

Also if you have an HMOP you could add options to your dhcp to point to the hivemanager.yourdomain.com

option 225 ascii "hivemanager.yourdomain.com"
option 226 ip 192.168.10.10

Photo of Daniel Kelly

Daniel Kelly

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I understand what you're saying, but why would it be the case I can reset a known working AP, or plug in a brand new AP and it be fine if that were the case? As I understand it, when the management vlan and native vlan are the same, the AP will not vlan tag the management traffic, so whatever is set as the trunk native vlan should be fine. I've also tried the APs on a non-trunked standard access port, and still no DHCP joy there.

Also, we already use option 226. I might try setting up a mirror port and running a wireshark to see what it's up to.

(Edited)

Carsten Buchenau, Champ

• 356 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
Hi Daniel,
If your switch ports and cables are ok, and your AP is not getting an IP even after a default reset, I would open a support ticket with Aerohive resp. your reseller.