AP350 w/o antennas.

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Does the AP350 need the antennas in order to work properly? Currently doing a eval and APs came with out antennas and Im not getting good signal strength.
Photo of Nicolas Martinez

Nicolas Martinez

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Crowdie

Crowdie, Champ

• 972 Posts
  • 272 Reply Likes
To transmit a signal you need a transmitter and an antenna.

The transmitter takes the data provided and modifies the AC signal by using a modulation technique to encode the data into the signal. This modulated signal is now a carrier signal, containing the data to be transmitted, and is transported to the antenna. The transmitter is also responsible for determining the original transmission amplitude, or what is more commonly referred to as the power level, of the transmitter,

The antenna provides two functions in a communication system. When connected to the transmitter, it collects the AC signal that it receives from the transmitter and directs, or radiates, the RF waves away from the antenna in a pattern specific to the antenna type. When connected to the receiver, the antenna takes the RF waves that it receives through the air and directs the AC signal to the receiver. The receiver converts the AC signal to bits and bytes.

Source: The excellent CWNA syllabus

When you have an AP350 with no antenna you have the transmitter but no antenna to collect the AC signal and direct the RF waves. This is why the signal strength is so poor.
Photo of Gregor Vucajnk

Gregor Vucajnk, Official Rep

• 74 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
As Crowdie said, antennas are a must. Make sure that the antennas are provided to you by whomever sent you the AP350 for tests.

Gregor
Photo of Nicolas Martinez

Nicolas Martinez

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks guy I knew something was missing since Im less than a feet away from the AP and getting low signal. No wonder I cant get any device to connect. Ill give my rep a call.