AP350 with two networks

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Using AP350 I want to use Eth0 and connect to a 192.168.x.x dhcp scope and broad cast a certain SSID, I also want to use ETH1 and connect to a 172.16.x.x network and broad cast a different SSID. Is this possible through the same AP?
Photo of Kevin Pleban

Kevin Pleban

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1026 Posts
  • 269 Reply Likes
Even if it can be configured (I don't think it can), that's not a scenario we test in our QA efforts, so you're getting into uncharted waters.

In my experience very few organizations actually pull multiple ethernet segments to the same location, the vast majority of them accomplish the same effective things using VLANs. 

Why were you considering this particular scenario?
Photo of Jonathan Hurtt

Jonathan Hurtt

• 98 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes

Actually this can be done (if i understand you correctly)..

If you are looking to create two SSIDs (SSID-A and SSID-B) and have one be sent out Eth0 and one out Eth1

The first step in the process is configuring the AP’s second Ethernet port (eth1) with the proper VLAN Configuration. In this screenshot we have configured the second Ethernet port to have a native VLAN of 2.

After configuring eth1 with proper VLAN settings, we will want to configure the device level settings. This configuration is found under Optional Settings, Routing.

After configuring the device level configuration this is an example of a Network Configuration for the AP that would result in the original goal.

Hope this helps.

Photo of Carsten Buchenau

Carsten Buchenau, Champ

• 343 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
I can confirm, this works. We had to do a test for the exact same scenario where an administration had - for legacy reasons - two physical networks. My first suggestion was to put in place a proper switched infrastructure, but still technically this can be done.

But: Be aware that all management traffic is always being sent out through the eth0 interface. This includes Radius servers for authentication. So if VLAN 2 needs Radius authentication, that server has to be reachable via eth0.
Photo of Kevin Pleban

Kevin Pleban

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks Jonathan. I was close on my initial config but was missing the "Multiple Network Default Routing" step. All AP's seem to be working great now on the two networks.