AP250 powers up but won't bring up eth0

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
Hey,

We have recently deployed numerous ap250's and are now seeing sporadic outages with them. The AP will come up and stay live for say a week or 2 (some even longer) and randomly it reboots. After rebooting, the switch gives out power to the AP and lights up but then the eth0 port never comes up so it is then inaccessible and essentially useless. Ap firmware is HiveOS 7.0r1 Bay.2381. We had to downgrade from 7.0r2 due to the same power issues plus other performance problems.

Power is being provided to the ap shown below:

show power inline gigabitEthernet 3/0/2Interface Admin  Oper       Power   Device              Class Max
                            (Watts)                            
--------- ------ ---------- ------- ------------------- ----- ----
Gi3/0/2   auto   on         15.4    Ieee PD             4     30.0 

Interface  AdminPowerMax   AdminConsumption    
             (Watts)           (Watts)           
---------- --------------- --------------------  

Gi3/0/2               30.0                 15.4

The switchport says this: 
GigabitEthernet3/0/2 is down, line protocol is down (notconnect).

We have other aps connected to the same switches which are fine but every now and then one of them goes offline and then only way to get back it back is to reset it and plug it back in again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as we have over 100 of these :)

Thanks

Oli
Photo of Oli

Oli

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Gary Smith

Gary Smith, Official Rep

• 299 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Hi Oli,

Are you working with your support provider on this?

Thanks,
Gary
Photo of Oli

Oli

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Both 2960s and 2960x. 

Ta

Oli
Photo of Bill W.

Bill W.

• 222 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Have you tried upgrading to the latest Hive OS, 7.1r1?

Also, instead of unplugging the AP and then plugging it back in, have you tried just disabling then re-enabling the PoE on the port? That would accomplish the same thing without having to physically go to the AP.
Photo of Bill W.

Bill W.

• 222 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Have you tried upgrading to the latest Hive OS, 7.1r1?

Also, instead of unplugging the AP and then plugging it back in, have you tried just disabling then re-enabling the PoE on the port? That would accomplish the same thing without having to physically go to the AP.
Photo of Oli

Oli

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Bill,

No matter what you do the AP remains offline and is then unable to boot correctly. 7.1 seems to be more stable but i've already had to return 3 aps because of this issue. It's sporadic and will happen randomly. 

I've configured all of our aps now to use 7.1 so fingers crossed the issue goes away.

Thanks

Oli
Photo of Kevin Whelan

Kevin Whelan

• 53 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
same issues on 7.1r1 , we swopped 30 x 330 for 250 and have had nothing but complete disaster, aps just drop off randomly or wont come on after a power cut, sometimes after 15 mins they may suddenly appear.
Photo of BJ

BJ, Champ

• 374 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Have you tested your cabling? Never overlook L1. Have you tried manually setting speed and duplex on either the switch or the APs?
Photo of Kevin Whelan

Kevin Whelan

• 53 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
existing points that had 330s working for years, nothing changed except APs. Was told that existing POE were suitable by vendor but beginning to suspect they aren't, unfortunately no power brick option on AP to test theory
Photo of Jason Zhou

Jason Zhou

• 18 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Hi, Kevin and Oli, Could you please try disable LLDP/CDP on AP or Switch? 
(Edited)
Photo of Kevin Whelan

Kevin Whelan

• 53 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks Jason My two network policies, service settings, both are blank for Link Discovery protocol,is that what you meant
(Edited)
Photo of Jason Zhou

Jason Zhou

• 18 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Hi, Kevin, 
I'm not sure if you are using HM6 or HM NG, but as I recall, lldp is enabled by default in default network policy. 

You can check it on AP via CLI:
show lldp 

and diable it by:

no lldp

There are should be similar command on switch.

The reason I'm asking you to check this is that AP250 will send a LLDP message that contains the power it needed from the switch's PoE, but this message may not be processed appropriately on some switches, so we'd better make sure LLDP was not exchanged in this case and see if the issue still exists. 

Thanks
Photo of Joakim Bo Löfman Carli

Joakim Bo Löfman Carli

• 5 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hi, 

I have seen this issue with a few AP250s as well, three to be exact from around 300 ordered at the same time. 
Tried static speed/duplex setting a few times, however they refused to get back up on eth0 unless I did a factory reset (didn't always help either). It was very sporadic and hard to recreate. 

I don't remember checking lldp, so that might be a good idea as suggested. (since eth0 sometimes went up after factory reset).
What I did notice that was a bit weird was that changing from a normal cat 5e cable to a shielded one solved the issue during my tests and eth0 worked as normal after that, changing back to normal 5e recreated it.

Used same switchport during those test as well, only changed the cable.
Anyway I went ahead with RMA for those units, but it might be worth a try at least. (It was the last thing I thought about to try since the APs before had worked without any issues.)

Best Regards
Joakim  

Photo of Oli

Oli

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for this! We sent back the faulty ones and received 3 back. Since upgrading to 7.1 we've not seen these issues but we are still having random performance issues where the AP drops all connections associated to the AP. No end of problems with these :(
Photo of Kevin Whelan

Kevin Whelan

• 53 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
LLDP is disabled, its a lot more serious than just Ethernet because the units we've had fail were all in service and when fail won't even respond to a factory reset, the reset button has no effect at all and yes we were doing it properly and have tried every variation in the hope of catching the system out for the reset to work. watching console It appears as if the button isn't connected at all, certainly never seen a reset that didn't work before in all my years of IT devices
(Edited)
Photo of Gary Smith

Gary Smith, Official Rep

• 299 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Kevin,

Have you opened a support ticket?

For anyone seeing these types of issue, I would recommend logging the CLI whilst the AP is booting so that we can see where the AP fails in the boot process. This will help us understand what might be wrong.

Even when requesting an RMA, I would ask that the CLI logs be collected so that we can see the reason for the failure. It might be that the AP can be recovered.

Kind Regards,
Gary Smith