AP245X external antenna configuration

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
AP245X wireless interfaces can be configured with several external antennas (omni, sector 60, sector 120 and "other") using Web UI as well as CLI (interface wifi0 radio antenna type sector-60) for instance. I assume this setting is reducing transmission power accordingly with antenna gain. However I cannot find additional details (how many dBm power is decreased when configuring omni, sector 60, sector 120 or "other" ) ?
Photo of Raptor139

Raptor139

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Hi Raptor139,

The Omni antenna is 5 dBi at 2.4GHz and 5 dBi at 5GHz.

The 60 degree section antenna is 5.5 dBi at 2.4GHz and 6 dBi at 5GHz.

The 120 degree section antenna is 5dBi at 2.4GHz and 5dBi at 5GHz.

Thanks,

Nick
Photo of Igor Gokhtel

Igor Gokhtel

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello Nick, I'm sorry, don't find an answer, but maybe you can help me. I'm looking for installation of AP245x. I'd like to set one antenna outside and five inside of the room. Is it possible to implement the antenna control for each antenna, or wold i have some performance issues with this implementation. Thanks Igor 
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Hi Igor,

For good reason, that type of installation is not supported.

It is likely to cause you performance and reliability issues if you attempt it.

Regards,

Nick
(Edited)
Photo of Igor Gokhtel

Igor Gokhtel

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks, Nick, so I'd take two devices e.g. AP230 for indoor and AP245x for outdoor?
Photo of Raptor139

Raptor139

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you Nick for your answer. With Aerohive antennas, I understand that transmission power is reduced taking into account the antenna gain you mentionned, but in this case, is it possible to know how the setting "OTHER" is modifying the power transmission ? (because the antenna gain is not known in this case).
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
In HiveOS 7.1r1, the Antenna gain is currently set to 0 dBi if the set antenna type is set to Other.

We are considering enhancing this in a future HiveOS release so an antenna gain can be configured.
(Edited)
Photo of Raptor139

Raptor139

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you very much Nick !