AP230s physical design is awful!

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
What were you thinking with the physical design of the AP230?  
The angled profile makes them impossible to stack neatly or safely.  
The ports are blocked by the mounting bracket so you can't access them when the devices is mounted.  
The mounting bracket system is awful, there is no way to safely dismount the WAPs without snapping one of the locking clips.  
The lights are too small and too dim to see at any distance.

It's as if you purposefully did everything you could to introduce pain-points for customers.

This is an awful change to a wonderfully designed AP330 which had clear and visible lights, great mounting brackets which were easy to clip-in and clip-out, and a nice square profile for easy stacking and storage.  

PLEASE go back to the physical design of the 330s for your next A/C WAPs.  We beg you!!
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • annoyed, angry, frustrated

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Krishna

Krishna, Employee

• 22 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hi Matthew,

I am the Sr.PLM responsible for all the APs at Aerohive,  so I'd like to take the opportunity to answer your questions.

1) The angled design was done to discourage stacking of APs - We did this because in many cases the installers power on all APs at once and load configuration on them. Stacking up multiple APs capable of operating at higher wattages creates a potential for overheating.
2) We designed it such that the cables are meant to be connected before mounting them on the bracket.  Not the other way around.
3) We redesigned the bracket in July last year. In case you have the older bracket ( without key holes), please ask your sales rep to help you with the new bracket.
4) The LED may seem dim depending on the distance and viewing angle. I acknowledge that. May I understand your use case for having the LED visible from distances further away ( other than the obvious one of knowing if the AP is powered on or not?) I ask this because I want to know if you are using the AP LED blink feature or not.

Our intention was to design a differentiated and feature rich product which carries our Aerohive brand. I apologize if the product caused any discomfort to you. We would like to hear your feedback on product design improvement on future products.

Best,
Krishna
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
I must admit to preferring the mounting brackets on the AP330 to the AP230.
Photo of Crowdie

Crowdie, Champ

• 972 Posts
  • 272 Reply Likes
I tend to find that access points with integrated internal antennas are deployed:

• As the customer wants a discrete device that doesn't interfere with the aesthetics
  • As the engineer hasn't thought outside the square
The AP330 is certainly more discrete than the AP230 so a more discrete version of the AP230 would be great.
Photo of Steven Bateman

Steven Bateman

• 65 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Interesting feedback.

I really like the design of the AP230 personally, and I think it has a better mounting bracket for surface mounting than the AP330. 

The recessed ceiling kit can sometimes be too narrow for the width of the ceiling track it attaches to, leading to some prying open with a screwdriver to get them to attach. But other than the fact that if I haven't woken up enough in the morning I can very easily surface mount the bracket backwards, it's a lot more stable than the AP330's plastic and clips as well as much better holes for fasteners.
Photo of Crowdie

Crowdie, Champ

• 972 Posts
  • 272 Reply Likes
On the mounting bracket front I would prefer steel mounting brackets like Cisco use.

(Edited)
Photo of BJ

BJ, Champ

• 374 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
From our experience, we've been able to install an AP, set the security screws, and leave it. Thus the pains mentioned above haven't applied to any of our deployments, however I could see this being a factor if one needed to disconnect or unmount an AP repeatedly.
None of our users in our offices have mentioned any esthetic issues, nor commented on preferences, including AP320s, 120s, 330s, 370s, or 230s. As long as an AP is not overly obtrusive and has a functional mounting system, we believe the cost of APs should be focused on the electronics, rather than external brackets.  
Matthew, how are you mounting the 230s, to ceiling grid, horizontally on drywall, etc?

Best,
BJ  
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
We are constantly moving in and out of sites (hence the importance of cloud-managed WAPs!) - sometimes we are wall mounting and sometimes we are grid mounting.  We are also having to often store a number of devices while we are 'in-between' sites so we'll have piles of Aerohives in storage.

Another odd choice about the wall bracket design is why the Aerohive logo faces inwards towards the wall?  Wouldn't you logically think the logo would be on the outward-facing side of a product (if you're going to put a log on the bracket at all...)?
Photo of Crowdie

Crowdie, Champ

• 972 Posts
  • 272 Reply Likes
The feedback we have got from our cabling contractors is that the Aerohive mounting kits feel flimsy and there is a concern that they will break if pressure is applied.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
We haven't managed to break and of the brackets yet, but we've snapped off a bunch of the clips on the WAPs themselves when trying to un-mount them.  With only one-clip intact we can still mount the WAPs but they are not secure.  So far we haven't broken both clips off any WAPs so they are still half-mountable.  

I wonder if Aerohive will RMA any units where the clips have snapped off.  Aerohive -?
Photo of Dawn Douglass

Dawn Douglass

• 67 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I really dislike the design of the 230's as well.  Configuring a bunch of them is a real pain. They bounce around and would be easy to knock one off of a desk or switch.  Once configured, they cannot be stacked to be taken to a deployment location.  Also, it is difficult to see if the LED is white or off, even at a relatively close distance.  
Photo of ILoveLamp

ILoveLamp

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
I agree that the design is not so appealing, since I am so anal about symmetry in my life.......  But I have to say that we have been very happy with everything else.  A huge step forward from the AP330.  I am a bit confused why you would want to set these all up in a single location.  We plugged them in all over the place and got right onto hive manager and BOOM.  All good.  A win for Aerohive.
Photo of Krishna

Krishna, Employee

• 22 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Thanks all for your feedback!