AP230 w/ HiveOS 6.6r1a not compatible with Atheros wifi chip?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • (Edited)

Hi,

After updating a few of our AP230's to HiveOS version 6.6r1a it seems some clients are no longer able to connect to out WPA2-Enterprise (AES) secured wifi network.

We figured out that specifically notebooks (running Windows 8.1 or Windows 10) with an Atheros chipset are affected (for example the Atheros AR5BMD222, using latest drivers). The wifi adapter status in Windows says "Attempting to authenticate" and after some time Windows says it is not able to connect to the network.

It should be noted these notebooks are still able connect to a WPA2-Personal secured network (guest network) on the same AP.

After downgrading the access points to HiveOS 6.4r1, the affected computers immediately connected to our WPA2-Enterprise network again.

My question is: Is this a known issue? And is there a way around the issue without downgrading?

Thanks in advance.

Photo of Chris S

Chris S

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Chris,
This is news to me. Do you have a make and model number of the laptop and/or wireless adapter that I can pass along to my QA team so we can research this? I suggest you open a case with Aerohive Tech Support or your reseller so we have tracking numbers for this issue.
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Hi Chris,

First off, do you have Protected Management Frames (802.11w) enabled? This is supported on the AP230 starting with HiveOS 6.6r1, so it's not present in HiveOS 6.4r1. You may be hitting an interop issue here if you have it toggled on.

(802.11w support is mandatory for all Windows 8 and later drivers to get WHQL qualification, technically based on NDIS driver model revision used, so I'd attempt to see your affected clients attempting to use it.)

Failing that yielding anything fruitful...

Can you get a packet capture of what's going on in the air, I would suggest via another laptop that's in monitor mode? (Could you do this for the success and failure case with the same client and AP?)

What does Client Monitor show?

Are you able to post your configuration, redacted as necessary, somewhere?

It's certainly not something that I've noticed with HiveOs 6.6r1 in use on an educational campus with AP230s.

Cheers,

Nick
(Edited)
Photo of Chris S

Chris S

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Mike,

(At least) The following 2 notebooks are affected by the described issue:

Acer Aspire S7-391
w/ Qualcomm Atheros AR5BMD222

Asus TX300CA
w/ Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG

Note I'll open a case with support later this week.

Nick,

Just verified, but it seems we do not have 802.11w enabled on the affected SSID.

At this moment I do not have a laptop with monitoring drivers / software around so I'd first have to arrange that. Also didn't try to monitor the affected computers with the Client Monitor yet.
I did have a look at the logs of the AP which showed the MAC address of the computer trying to connect and then disassociating again. I was looking in the logs if I could see an attempt to authenticate with the computer account name or username, but it seems it did not get that far.

Regards, Chris

Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
It'd be useful to be able to compare and contrast the success and failure case with the same client in a monitor mode capture.