AP230 Status LED Stays OFF after Firmware Update

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • (Edited)
Hello guys,

Can anyone help me to fix the issue we've encountered?

We have updated the AP230s to firmware version HiveOS 6.4r1e.2116. After
firmware update, the status LED doesn’t light up anymore (so no indication if it is at fault
or not). It can still use it though and still manageable from Hive Manager.

We had observed that it is rather blinking. Roughly 3 seconds ON (with white light) and 1 minute OFF (no light) and this manifestation is observable in all APs (AP230) they have perform an update.

One thing is for sure, the update was successful for all APs as it displayed in Hive Manager.

Prior in updating the firmware all status LED of AP are "ON" and in normal operation.

I think this is a firmware related issue. How can we change it back to normal? Do we need to process RMA for this case?

Thanks in advance for your answer!

Photo of Noel Mangalindan

Noel Mangalindan

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Hi Noel,

This is expected behaviour.

I suggest that you refer to the release notes for HiveOS 6.4r1e where this change is explained:

"Status LED Behavior

Aerohive access points include LEDs that can be used to assist installation, monitoring, and troubleshooting. Prior to this release, the default behavior of the AP130 and AP230 LED was to be on and illuminated at all times during normal AP operation. The new behavior of the AP130 and AP230 LED is to exhibit a long-period blink: The LED illuminates for 4 seconds, and then remains off for about one minute. There are no other changes to the operation of the access point.

This change is in response to a manufacturing defect reported by some customers that might cause the LEDs on the access point to become increasingly dim over time. This defect is largely cosmetic and does not alter or cause any loss of functionality to the product. That is, regardless of the condition of the LED over time, the performance and connectivity provided by your Aerohive network remains unchanged.

Customers who have reported this issue report a significant visual difference between the brightness of the LEDs on their units after nine to twelve months of continuous operation as compared to when the units were originally installed. This issue only exists in AP130s and AP230s, and, to date, has only been reported by AP230 customers, although not all units have been affected. The change in LED behavior allows the LED to continue to provide a visual indicator of the AP's health for those customers who use this feature, while significantly extending the life expectancy of the LEDs, in many cases to beyond the expected service life of the access point.

What You Need to Do

Aerohive recommends that you take steps to extend the life of the LEDs on your access points. Even if you do not typically rely on the LEDs for ongoing operations, taking action now will ensure that the LEDs are available to you if you need them in the future. This requires you to install an updated version of HiveOS. See "Updating Your Devices" on page 2 for instructions on how to update your devices.

By updating HiveOS by September 1, 2015, you ensure the continued, full protection of your Aerohive warranty. For further protection, customers who do not typically use the LEDs as part of ongoing operations can turn the LEDs off completely, then turn them on when needed for troubleshooting."

Cheers,

Nick

(Edited)

Noel Mangalindan

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the reply.

So it means it only stay "OFF" to extend LEDs life.

Does the LED will change the status or illuminate automatically if it encounters error on the AP?

I'm just quite worried not seeing the status of LED when it encounters error 'coz I'm not just relying on the HiveManager but also with the physical status of AP.

Cheers,
Noel
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Noel,
Yes, if an error condition occurs (such as loss of CAPWAP connectivity to the management platform, loss of backhaul ethernet connectivity, etc) then the orange Alarm LED will illuminate, and once the status returns to a normal condition then the white LED will resume it's slow blink.

We have heard many complaints about this LED Longevity behavior, and we have taken steps in some software under development right now to address many if not all of those complaints about lack of administrative control over this behavior.

Noel Mangalindan

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Mike,

Thanks to that! At least now I'm at ease that such error occurred will still be identified physically.

Again, many thanks!

Cheers,
Noel
Photo of Dan Mellem

Dan Mellem

• 52 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Will future releases of the APs address this defect?

Is it possible to decrease the brightness and keep it on or at least increase the rate of the status updates? Most of our staff identify a problem by looking at the LED. The techs will generally suspect bad cabling and loss of PoE if the AP LED turns off.

Thanks.
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Dan,
Yes. We are changing components and circuitry so that the white LEDs will have the originally expected operational life (many years instead of months) before they begin to dim with age. It will take some time for these newly created devices to percolate thru the retail pipeline. 

Sorry, but there is no brightness control available for the AP230 or AP130 LEDs. They are illuminated, or not.

We are in the process of releasing new HiveOS images and the AP230 and AP130 images will incorporate LED behavior changes based on feedback we've received here, via Support tickets, and via late-night calls to my home (well, not that last one, but I suspect some people have been tempted to do so).

By default they will illuminate the white LED for 24 hours after booting up or a reboot. You will have administrative control over this delay as well as the intervals of time they are lit or unlit.
Photo of Dan Mellem

Dan Mellem

• 52 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
OK, thanks. We're planning on buying a couple thousand, so it'd be nice to get devices with this resolved.
Photo of Paulo Quizora

Paulo Quizora

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
We have the same issue for the past few weeks but now fixed with an update to HiveOS 6.6r1b.2338...

Noel Mangalindan

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Paulo,

Does the status LED now stays ON after that update?

If yes, I think will start updating mine too.

Cheers!
Photo of Paulo Quizora

Paulo Quizora

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Noel

Sorry for the delay. It stayed ON for 24 hrs and went back to that same behaviour - this applies to my new and old batches of 230s.   
Photo of Chris Vialpando

Chris Vialpando

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I too utilize the Led status lights as a means to ensure connectivity and correct functionality, it's a shame this cannot be rectified for a simple issue such as led longevity and quite surprised that an LED can fade like this in such a short duration. Did you guys cheapen out on the LED's or what?
Photo of Bill W.

Bill W.

• 222 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
You can change the default behavior to something more to your liking. If you console into an AP230, you can use 2 commands to change this behavior.
system led power delay x
-x can be a number from 0-72 to indicate hours with the default being 24. This controls how long before the power saving delay begins.
system led power-saving-mode on off z
-y can be a number from 1-100 to indicate seconds with a default of 4.  This controls how long the LED stays on.
-z can be a number from 1-100 to indicate seconds with a default of 64.  This controls how long the LED stays off.
You could also downgrade the firmware to 6.4r1d which has the old behavior of always on.  But this is unsupported, and I believe also voids the warranty on the AP (at least pertaining to LED issues).

I wish they would use the LED from the AP330/350 on all of their APs. I like the variety of colors that can be used to indicate different conditions, and they don't fade.
Photo of Chris Vialpando

Chris Vialpando

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the response Bill. I will have to look into these instructions to see if its worth the time. LOL,  We still have AP 120's that have been in service for over 5 years and their LED's are bright as the day we installed them. ---Cheers
Photo of Bill W.

Bill W.

• 222 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Once you test the settings that work for you, you could use the supplemental cli to push to all of your AP230s.

I just hope you don't have AP370/390s. Because they have the same issue as the AP230s, but these commands do not work on them. So those LEDs will become almost worthless; the amber still works.
Photo of Chris Vialpando

Chris Vialpando

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for your help. :-)
Photo of Dan Mellem

Dan Mellem

• 52 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I'd like to see multi-color LEDs. That's one thing I miss from the Cisco APs. Besides all of the diagnostic colors, turquoise means everything is good with no clients connected and blue means everything is good with clients. Very useful diagnostics for our technicians.
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Wow. The Thread That Won't Die. 

Chris, we did not intentionally use deficient LEDs or poor control circuitry, but there was an error on the datasheet for the LEDs used in these devices that caused us to essentially over-power them, leading to premature aging and therefore dimming of the LEDs. The LEDs still illuminate, but over time they become so dim that you cannot distinguish between lit and unlit. The device will continue to operate just fine, tho, and acknowledging how expensive it is for people to dismount units and send them back for RMA, we added the (original, poor) LED Longevity logic that got people so up in arms. We have changed our manufacturing process and LED circuitry in these devices so that units now being built at the factory won't experience this. The next couple releases of HiveOS for these platforms will auto-detect if they are suspectible to premature aging or not, and will make a local decision after boot-up whether to stay lit steadily if all is good or to go into the LED Longevity behavior. Additionally, the matching network management releases will examine your entire inventory of hardware and make a recommendation for all steadily lit or all in blinking mode, for consistent appearance within your organization. And, of course, you will be able to override this recommendation if you wish.

Dan, I hear you about the multi-color LEDs. I too liked them and wanted to retain them, but the responsible hardware product manager, the industrial design folks, and the user experience folks all had good reasons why white and amber were sufficient. I lost that battle. 
Photo of Chris Vialpando

Chris Vialpando

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for your response MIke, I apologize for bringing up an old thread, It's just that when we first signed on with Aerohive, there were many features we liked including the multicolored LED status lights (selling point), As I have posted above; I have several AP 120's and every single one of those units LED's are working properly to this day and are capable of multicolored through CLI. It just seems to me this is going backwards or taking away a capability we had prior. When you work in a large institution like ours these small things can make a huge difference. The saying goes: "If it isn't broken, don't fix it". ---Cheers
Photo of matt

matt

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Chris,

Would you be able to share the CLI for the multicolored changes by chance?
Photo of Bill W.

Bill W.

• 222 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Chris, I know how you feel. I love the multicolor LED on the AP330/350s that we have. And all of our AP121s, AP330s, and AP350s all have working, bright LEDs after 3+ years. Also the size of the LED on these older models is much better too. It's a lot easier to see the status of the LED at a distance on the older models. With the newer ac models, I may have to get directly under the AP or up on a ladder to check the status unless the room is very dark. The older models I can easily see the status from a good distance away in a well lit room. I don't know if you have any AP170s, but I hate those things. They have no LEDs at all. I'm glad the AP1130 added some LEDs.

When Aerohive introduced the power save feature for the LEDs, our Help Desk started receiving calls that the APs were no longer working. So we had to constantly tell users it was working, and explain the on/off nature.

And what has never been addressed by Aerohive is the fact that the AP370/390 has the same issue. I responded to a thread about this yesterday. Fortunately for us, we only have 10 AP370s. Three of which are at my site, so I can tell you that the white LED on all 3 are so dim you can't see them any more. One is a spare, so its LED is fine. And the other 6 are at other sites, but I'm sure they are in a similar situation.
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
D'oh!! My bad; I neglected to mention in my previous post that the AP370/390 will get the same LED Longevity commands as the other 802.11ac platforms in the next maintenance release to HiveOS 6.5 (version 6.5r3b, releasing around the end of this month). 
Photo of Paul

Paul

• 19 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Glad I found this thread, I have an AP230 in the house and thought something was wrong as the LED kept switching off, now I know! :-)