AP230 or 250?

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
We currently have 300 AP230 access points installed across 8 of our schools. This coming summer we are going to be completing our transition to Aerohive by replacing 35 APs in our two remaining buildings. We have two quotes: one with AP230s and one with AP250s. Is there a compelling reason to get the AP250s over the AP230s? What would the AP250s give us that the AP230s don't have? With the AP230s we would have all the same devices across the whole district for replacement needs. I know there is a bit of personal preference in this decision, but what are the recommendations out there? 

Thank you for any insights you can give us,
Tim
Photo of Timothy Musa

Timothy Musa

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Homogeneous environments are nice; you know what to expect. But the AP230 is not our newest box.

How many clients are connecting at 2.4GHz? Have you noticed any trends of movement towards 5GHz? Both devices are 3x3:3 802.11ac devices, but the AP250 allows you to operate it as a dual 5GHz access point and as a Wave-2 device it will offer higher aggregate throughput.

As the Product Manager who has to manage the feature-sets I can tell you the AP250 has more headroom for features and will be supported farther into the future, so if your costs are similar that one may be the better long-term choice.
Photo of Dale Crowther

Dale Crowther

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Some info sheets links below,
Check those then consider things like does the switch in those building support POE? Do you find current AP’s in those building are getting saturated / congested? Do you current have good phone and wifi reception throughout those buildings? (As in good signal penetration)? If Yes to all three then consider AP250, if No to all three then consider AP230.
Look at the comparison chart below to ensure they meet your environmental constraints.

Aerohive 230 vs 250 comparison chart:
https://media.boundless.aerohive.com/...

Wave 1 vs Wave 2 info:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutio...
Photo of John Fabry

John Fabry

• 28 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
How soon will you be upgrading the client side? Most new clients will do version 2 of AC. My suggestion is install for the long haul. If you can afford the 250s install them.
Photo of Timothy Musa

Timothy Musa

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the great info. We also talked with people at an Aerohive UG meeting and everyone is in consensus that, if the funding is there, go with the AP250s. They provide enough added benefit to warrant installing those as opposed to keeping with the AP230s. So that is what I recommend to management here. Since we're only looking at 35 or so, the cost different shouldn't be a block.

Thanks again for the great information to pass along,
Tim