AP230 need internet connection after configuration ?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
hello ,
i have configured a little local network, one server , one switch two AP230 and 100 Ipad
I have used myhive  with internet line for configuring, all is ok , my network is running, but if i disconnect my internet line , my network does not work correctly.
I see SSID but i can't find my server device. the Led on AP230 become amber, before i unplug internet line, it was white fixed.

Some idea, i'm not a network expert ....

thank in advance
Photo of 750

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Steve Kellogg

Steve Kellogg

• 87 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I think the amber light just indicates that your AP's can't connect to the CAPWAP server (because you've disconnected your LAN from the internet) but the Aerohive documentation states that your access points should continue to function with the configuration you set up in HiveManager while your AP's were online. 

As for what's causing the LAN to fail, I'll have to leave that to someone more experienced, but one question that comes to mind is whether you are using DNS on your local area network and whether you have a local DNS server (DNS service installed on your server machine).  Also whether your iPads are using DHCP and you've got DHCP service set up on your server.  If your server has a static IP address can you ping it using the IP address?

Steve
Photo of Eastman Rivai

Eastman Rivai, Official Rep

• 146 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
The AP can run without internet connection. The internet connection is only required if you want to manage the AP, or if you use one of our cloud services such as IDM or social login.

Red means the AP is not connected to the Hive Manager. White means the AP is connected to the hive manager.

When you said the network does not work correctly, could you please explain more?
Do the client have an IP address?
Where is your DNS server?
Can you ping your DNS server when you disconnected the internet line?
Does your ADSL router provide the DHCP and DNS?  Did you turn it off when you disconnect the internet?

Thank you,