AP230 LED Brightness

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago

Since a recent update, the LED's on our two AP230's have turned off. If you use the  'Locate AP' tool and set it to amber, the LED is bright, however if you set to white, it is very very dim, almost invisible.

Is there a setting to turn the LED brightness back up on the AP230's? All of our AP121's are still fine.

Photo of Daryl Reseigh

Daryl Reseigh

• 11 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of David Coleman

David Coleman, Official Rep

• 209 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Daryl:

Open your Network Policy and then go to Additional Settings and click edit.  Expand Service Settings and then edit your Management Options object.  Scroll down to System Setting>LED Brightness

Note: There are only two settings for AP230.... Bright and Off

Photo of James Dolley

James Dolley

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello:
This option does not work. There seems to be an issue with the AP230 and HIvemanager 6.4r2, as some AP's are "Bright" but most go "Dim". I can ssh into an AP and cannot turn the AP LED on "Bright". I can set to "DIM", which means no change or "Off", and the LED will go out. Currently I have 2 AP's on 1 switch. with the same network Policy and 2 different LED intensities, they have different fimware "new" is 6.4r1a and "old" is 6.1r5.. This needs to get fixed asap, as we have over 450 AP's and some are mounted so high it hard to tell if they are on.
Photo of Daryl Reseigh

Daryl Reseigh

• 11 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Yep as above. I have 33 x AP121's and they are all fine but the two AP230s I have are very very dim. I have been asked if its just because it's sunny recently but no it's not that. My technician keeps telling me they aren't working as the light has gone out and it's quite misleading when you look at the AP visually rather than checking HMOL. If I set the AP to blink on the orange LED under locate AP option it's bright but anything to do with the white LED is totally dimmed out
Photo of Daryl Reseigh

Daryl Reseigh

• 11 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
This is the AP230 when the classroom it's in has been fairly dark at 7:30am...
Photo of Bryan Tetlow

Bryan Tetlow

• 78 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I have been complaining about this problem for several months with support --- Once tech claimed that there must be something wrong with the input power to the switch feeding it.... (WHAT?!?)  ALL of My 230's have this problem since we were moved to a different HMOL server....    

I have some mounted 25' up!  You cannot tell if they're powered it's so dim....  They work -- but this LED issue is contradictory and supposedly not possible....apparently it IS!

I'd love to get my LED's back to normal.... let ME control em.... 

Oh, and I have 137 of em.....
(Edited)
Photo of Tim Ruda

Tim Ruda, Official Rep

• 40 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Hi Daryl & Bryan,

As mentioned above, the AP230 does not have a dim/bright configuration option, but rather only on/off. I believe the problem you're experiencing is related to the hardware and I'd like to ensure your Support cases are handled properly. Can you let me know what your case numbers are? I'll speak with the Engineer working the case and advise on the resolution.

Thanks!
Photo of Daryl Reseigh

Daryl Reseigh

• 11 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I have been told by my supplier it's a known hardware fault on the AP230s and they are waiting to find out if they are being recalled or not. I don't have anything logged with aerohive themselves at the moment
Photo of Bryan Tetlow

Bryan Tetlow

• 78 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I have 45 SR switches....145 AP230's   None of them exhibited this issue until we got moved to a different host server....

I've already had several tickets including escalating one....   We spent a LOT of time on it....   Nothing else is broken....   I have since closed the issue ---  I'm not convinced it's a hardware error directly, but more rather a firmware related issue... I have all 3 models of SR switches.... We played with all the variants to see if we could get to a level where it would break....and go backwards to reverse it --- Once DIM, they don't go back....period...

The other...observation... was that this also seemed to appear when 6.4r1a came out... this firmware for switches made the fans run slower...  Since 6.4r1d is released, we'll see if there's any changes there.

I'm not terribly interested in another round of support...at least not with the current load I have...    I do appreciate your comments and thoughts though....
Photo of Bryan Tetlow

Bryan Tetlow

• 78 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
@Daryl
It may be a hardware fault --- BUT --- out of the box this issue does NOT exist.... it's only after you've applied the firmware that it appears...and from what I've been able to tell, only the 6.4r1a firmware.  However as I've noted, none of this occurred until we were moved to a different host server.  We had that firmware in place for some time with no issues...

Since everything in these devices is software controlled....I'm still leaning towards a firmware related issue....
Photo of Tim Ruda

Tim Ruda, Official Rep

• 40 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Daryl & Brian,

I understand your concerns, and as Daryl mentioned it has been confirmed to a hardware issue. The impact is very small (<0.4%) impact and will not be widespread enough to consider a recall, despite a large number of your units being impacted.

Bryan,
I think the timing of the firmware update in your scenario simply lines up with the MTTF (mean time to failure) of between 9 and 12 months. If you roll back your firmware to a previous version, does the LED brightness come back? I've not had this experience in my testing and that could indicate a secondary issue. If rolling back firmware does not resolve the problem I would say you likely fall into the hardware issue category.

By asking for Support cases I do not want to put you through any additional troubleshooting efforts. My intent of interaction with the support cases is to immediately process an RMA and replace the access points for you. Are you interested in this path?
Photo of Daryl Reseigh

Daryl Reseigh

• 11 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Yes please. If you can let me know how I go about this in the UK I'll get them swapped. It happened after I upgraded firware / moved HMOL servers too. Seems strange it's a hardware fault as was working fine before this!
Photo of Tim Ruda

Tim Ruda, Official Rep

• 40 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Daryl,

I agree! Very unusual that the failure lined up perfectly with the firmware update, however we have done very rigorous testing and investigation and are confident that the AP's will need to be replaced. Can you send me an e-mail to get the process started offline? truda[at]aerohive.com

Thanks!
Photo of Daryl Reseigh

Daryl Reseigh

• 11 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thank-you! I have just sent you an email from my work account. Regards
Photo of Daryl Reseigh

Daryl Reseigh

• 11 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know as a result of posting on here, Aerohive have now replaced the two AP230's with this problem and I can confirm the replacement units LED's are working as expected.

Excellent customer service from Aerohive and it's partners in the UK.

I would suggest if your AP230's are effected by this problem, contact Aerohive and get them replaced.

(Edited)
Photo of Bryan Tetlow

Bryan Tetlow

• 78 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I can confirm the same from my site as well --- Nearly 150 of them to be replaced... 

Note there is a SPECIAL process for these returns -- Regular support cannot trigger the replacements.  Best to go thru your account rep if possible to make it smooth.
Photo of Daryl Reseigh

Daryl Reseigh

• 11 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Wow that's a lot of AP230's Bryan! Are they all effected? I have 31 x AP121's, 12 x AP130's, 2 x AP230's and a single AP-1130 for my school which gives us an AP in every classroom :) Your school / place of work much be MUCH  bigger?
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
I suspect it will just have been a cluster in the same batch, or something similar. I wouldn't have dwelled too much on the number affected if this had happened to me. These things do happen, as niggling as they are to deal with when they occur.
(Edited)
Photo of Bryan Tetlow

Bryan Tetlow

• 78 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
@Nick -- Dwelling may never solve the issue --- however when you're 100% affected it's really not a small thing...  

In my case, these are installed in a medical complex where patient care comes into play. So, in this instance, casual concern isn't allowed....  I have over 900 users in just 1 of the buildings alone, and we won't count "guests" which can add average of nearly 200 over the course of a day.

Yes, things happen, but when you expose it months before it's officially acknowledged and are denied there is a issue, that kind of makes things a bit of a bad flavor...  When you have a support tech tell you, well, the power to your (Aerohive) switch input voltage must be low you should check that.... Yah... sure....I'll get right on that one...
Iget more sensitive and whiny about it when I get this kind of thing....

...Hazards of electronics.... I've been around long enough to know things happen.......  Time to move on... I have a lot of things to replace...
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
It is definitely no small thing to change them, agreed. I just meant that I would just have seen it as 'being one of those things'. How annoying for you!

You mention patient care. Just to check, it was/is just the LED and not a service affecting fault, so presumably you can replace them on a more 'leisurely' basis?

I would have been riled too if I had been initially passed off. Aerohive may well, however, not have known about it, or the extent of it, at that point and not disseminated that information around until enough people started opening cases and they correlated things and realised there was a quality problem.

Nick
(Edited)
Photo of Jackywong

Jackywong

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Support
Photo of Bryan Tetlow

Bryan Tetlow

• 78 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Yes, ALL of my AP230's were affected.  My guess is they all came from the same lot(s) that had the defective part installed.

The finer detail I was told is that the white LED itself is the issue.... Something in its manufacture makes it fail and put out significantly less light.  

I can confirm I have not noticed other issues from it given the number I have affected.  
The natural fear is not knowing if there's something else affected because of this....  

Having been in electronics a LONG time.... My impression is that in this case, probably not.   I'll take their word for it at this point....  Too much work to think too hard since they're getting replaced...
Photo of Eddie Klaczko

Eddie Klaczko

• 28 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Is there a range of serial numbers we can check to see if our units are affected?  I'd hate to hang up a few hundred APs and wait 9-12 months to see which ones fail.
Photo of Bryan Tetlow

Bryan Tetlow

• 78 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
In my view --- there should be....  But, thus far the only answer I've gotten is that *I* have to provide the serial numbers of the affected AP's.

In my case, I also have spares that have never been installed, and I intend that these will be replaced regardless ---

To me, the affected devices should be all part of the same lot(s) so it should be a simple process to go from there to serial numbers..... but that's just my opinion.
Photo of Mike Facer

Mike Facer

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am having an issue with our Schools AP230's when I run the Advanced Update for the HiveO S Firmware and I choose the latest version (6.4r1 - AP230-6.4r1e.img.S) the LED on the unit goes out. If I roll back to Update (6.1r6 - AP230-6.1r6c.img.S) then the LED goes back to being constantly on as we want it. Does that mean that for the moment it is best to run it on the 6.1r6 update until a fix has been issued for 6.4r1?
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Interesting. I wonder if this behaviour for a targeted range of serial numbers then... I'll investigate!
(Edited)
Photo of Mike Facer

Mike Facer

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you Nick, would be good to know. We will be upgrading to 6.5r1 soon which is the latest version as I have just discovered.
Photo of Brian Powers

Brian Powers, Champ

• 396 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Mike,

That behavior of the LED is only in 6.4r1e.  If you use an earlier 6.4 iteration, the LED should go back to whatever it was before the upgrade to the .r1e code.  Based on the release notes, the only difference between 6.4r1d and 6.4r1e is the LED behavior.

If you have a support account, you should read up on the release notes for that release.

Status LED Behavior

Aerohive access points include LEDs that can be used to assist installation, monitoring, and troubleshooting.

Prior to this release, the default behavior of the AP130 and AP230 LED was to be on and illuminated at all times during normal AP operation. The new behavior of the AP130 and AP230 LED is to exhibit a long-period blink: The LED illuminates for 4 seconds, and then remains off for about one minute. There are no other changes to the operation of the access point.

This change is in response to a manufacturing defect reported by some customers that might cause the LEDs on the access point to become increasingly dim over time. This defect is largely cosmetic and does not alter or cause any loss of functionality to the product. That is, regardless of the condition of the LED over time, the performance and connectivity provided by your Aerohive network remains unchanged.  

Customers who have reported this issue report a significant visual difference between the brightness of the LEDs on their units after nine to twelve months of continuous operation as compared to when the units were originally installed. This issue only exists in AP130s and AP230s, and, to date, has only been reported by AP230 customers, although not all units have been affected. The change in LED behavior allows the LED to continue to provide a visual indicator of the AP's health for those customers who use this feature, while significantly extending extending the life expectancy of the LEDs, in many cases to beyond the expected service life of the access point.

----

An odd fix yes, but if its this or the LEDs burning out completely after 9-12 months, well, I'd take this fix...

Photo of Bryan Tetlow

Bryan Tetlow

• 78 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I've had mine fail in as little as 3 months!

I can confirm via direct support information that the "e" version of the firmware is the cause that users will see what appears to be a failure of the LED -- it's not.   I know others have noted this prior to my note.    We had 145 AP's affected.

I don't know if that "adjustment" affects other models.

Also, for the AP230 -- I see comments about "soft and dim"  AP230 does not support anything but ON or OFF... there is no soft or dim for this model.    Perhaps that's where they went wrong in the design.   None the less, we have to be consistent in knowing the AP230 doesn't offer anything but the 2 options.

Even though I knew well in advance of the release that this was an intended process that was going to occur, it still caught us off guard as well --  The indications I got from support when they asked for input led me to think they would send some kind of notice.  It wasn't until I noted the lighting pattern that it dawned on me what was going on.
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
It ought to be mentioned that the new LED behaviour is also in HiveOS 6.6r1a. I wasn't aware of the changes when I wrote my reply above, sorry!
(Edited)
Photo of James Dolley

James Dolley

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The new "on for 4-off for 60" is not a fix. This will be very distracting in a k-12 school situation. It also appears that this problems seem to effect all AP230's, we have over 450 of them....all are "bad". This seem to be a "merchantability" issue and not a repair situation. We will need a better "fix" for these AP's, changing the behavior of the LED is unacceptable.
Photo of Anne Brinkman

Anne Brinkman

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I would be ok with an LED behavior change if the LEDs were still indicators--having to wait for a minute is not doable!  it's one thing if we can tell via the hive manager that it's on, but our users are not going to understand that an AP without a light is still working correctly, and will blame that when they have wifi issues. And in person I would like to be able to do a visual check to see the difference between on and off.  
Photo of Volkan Bagci

Volkan Bagci

• 55 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Our AP230s had the lights on untill firmware update, the lights are essential to visually check status. Aerohive should look into the issue.
Photo of chekol retta

chekol retta

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Any of you experiencing degraded wifi signal strength after the upgrade? Users complaining about signal strength being weak after the update.  
Photo of Daryl Reseigh

Daryl Reseigh

• 11 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Yes! Signal from my AP230's is weaker than it once was and noticeably worse than the AP130's and AP121's. This is very noticeable when streaming with AirPlay. With the AP130 it's silky smooth and on the AP230 it's jerky. Same network port and same location
Photo of chekol retta

chekol retta

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Daryl
Thank you for your reply. Does that mean, the APs should be rolled back to the older version(6.4r1)? 
Photo of Daryl Reseigh

Daryl Reseigh

• 11 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Not sure to be honest. Haven't tested any further yet. My AP230's were replaced for having  Faulty L.E.D's and since then, users have reported a weak signal. We used to get 2 bar signal in the school kitchen, now it doesn't pick up a signal at all so I had to buy a switch and hardwire for now.
Photo of Bryan Tetlow

Bryan Tetlow

• 78 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Like Daryl, we have had a large number replaced due to the faulty LED issue.   Unlike his site however, I've not noted any signal differences....

The real test would be to rollback the AP (or AP's) that affect that location and see if they get their signal back.  I can't think of any other way to positively indicate that the firmware had other unintended affects.

I can say that the only way the NEW firmware gets out there is if you do a full upload of the firmware, and don't notice that it's the "e" version you're pushing out.   There is no indication that you're out of firmware sync like when there's a major change....That makes this update optional.    

I have only pushed the "e" version to the new AP's....  Knowing now of reports of lower power or signal I will be paying close attention....

I don't want to panic quite yet ---

Overall, my opinion is this "fix" is designed to give longer life to those AP's that have not been replaced yet that are in the group that has the LED issue --- to give AH time to catch up with the flaw.  Physically not possible to replace everyone, and this gives at least a certain level of breathing room.

I understand the logical reason, but like others, I agree it's not a fix, and in reality, should be an "option" to choose in the firmware, not forced.
Photo of Bryan Tetlow

Bryan Tetlow

• 78 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I can not (unfortunately) confirm there IS something up with the AP's power using the "HiveOS 6.4r1e.2116" firmware.

I also noticed that they have REMOVED! the HiveOS 6.4r1d.2111 version.

There is no path backwards to the last good firmware.

I will be in contact shortly with support to restore that version ---   I have 8 ap's affected by this power (signal) issue in a surgical facility --- as in --- patient care is affected!   This is a no-no....

My bad for not noticing the new version was in the list, AH bad for not saying something.... they send me all sorts of other "fluff"....
Photo of Brian Powers

Brian Powers, Champ

• 396 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Yeah, so without that, I'm not sure of an easy way to do it if you cannot add custom images to upload to your gear.  I'd also imagine if you created a support ticket they might could add 6.4r1d back to your available options.
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Consider using a TFTP server with the save image command?
save image tftp://192.168.0.123:AP230-6.4r1d.img.S
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Consider using a TFTP server with the save image command?
save image tftp://192.168.0.123:AP230-6.4r1d.img.S
Photo of Volkan Bagci

Volkan Bagci

• 55 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thanx for the feedback, i will call support and ask if it is possible to add 6.4r1d to my HMOL.