AP230 High CPU usage nic %

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
Few AP's running HiveOS 6.6r1b.2338 are having issues with the high CPU usage.  Total CPU usage shows 100%.  show system proc state shows this:
Mem: 171144K used, 81204K free, 0K shrd, 7388K buff, 59000K cached
CPU:  1.1% usr  1.4% sys  0.0% nic 95.1% idle  0.0% io  0.0% irq  2.1% sirq
Load average: 0.01 0.06 0.05 7/291 15867

What is nic ?  Is it the Ethernet port or WiFi NIC?
Photo of Ali

Ali

• 20 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 12 months ago

Photo of Chris Carr

Chris Carr

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Ali

From a quick Google nic refers to Nice, which is a Linux term to do with batch or background jobs executed on the CPU.

Looking at this though I think you're misreading the output, as it indicates that it's actually 95.1% idle. Don't worry, I did this the first time I used it too!

If you want to see an easier representation of CPU try running "show cpu" or "show cpu detail".

Thanks!
Chris
Photo of Ali

Ali

• 20 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you for explaining.  So weird thing is when I do "show cpu" that shows me CPU at 100%
Photo of Chris Carr

Chris Carr

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Ali

That's strange, it's possible the issue is intermittent. Can you run a "show cpu detail" and then re-do the output of the "show system process state" command and then post them here? I would expect them to match.

Thanks
Chris
Photo of Ali

Ali

• 20 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
sh cpu

CPU total utilization:                100.000%
CPU user utilization:                 42.857%
CPU system utilization:               42.857%
show cpu detail

CPU user utilization:                 42.857%
CPU system utilization:               28.571%
Number of interrupt in last second:   0
Interrupt utilization:                0.000%
Soft interrupt utilization:           28.571%
------------------------------------------------------------
CPU0 utilization:
CPU user utilization:                 25.000%
CPU system utilization:               50.000%
Soft interrupt utilization:           25.000%
------------------------------------------------------------
CPU1 utilization:
CPU user utilization:                 60.000%
CPU system utilization:               20.000%
Soft interrupt utilization:           20.000%
show system proc state

Mem: 179600K used, 72748K free, 0K shrd, 7424K buff, 61624K cached
CPU:  0.0% usr  4.5% sys  0.0% nic 90.9% idle  0.0% io  0.0% irq  4.5% sirq
Photo of Chris Carr

Chris Carr

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Ali

That is indeed some strange output, especially the round figures it displays! I personally haven't seen a dual CPU AP manage to max out both of them simultaneously, and with the additional output at the bottom I suspect this could be a bug in the output you're seeing.

Are you experiencing any high CPU symptoms on the AP? For example, intermittent or complete lack of connectivity to HiveManager, poor or no response to pings, slow and unresponsive CLI and significant client connectivity issues.

If you aren't seeing then I'd lean towards a bug and recommend a firmware upgrade or downgrade, depending on your current version.

If you are then a factory reset would be good, to understand if any configuration could be causing this. Following that we'd need to investigate environmental causes and if possible still consider firmware.

I hope this helps!
Thanks
Chris
Photo of Ali

Ali

• 20 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
No CLI is fine, pings are fine.  Clients however are complaining about slow connectivity.  So I checked another site with a different code and they are fine.  This particular site all AP's even with 0 client count showing 100% CPU usage. 

Another interesting thing I noticed was there is a spare AP at this facility with both radios off.  That AP's CPU is showing at 1.xx%

I'm going to try to turn off the radios on one of the AP's and see if that changes the CPU %.
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Hi Ali,

Before you troubleshoot too far, I would suggest first updating and testing with HiveOS 6.5r7 or HiveOS 8.0 to preclude this being a known issue that has since been corrected.

Thanks.

Nick
(Edited)
Photo of Brian Powers

Brian Powers, Champ

• 396 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Nick,

Are you able to test/confirm that this bug id - CFD-693 did not resurface in your latest golden code revs (r6 and r7) for the AP230s?  I'm fairly sure it did.  
Photo of Ali

Ali

• 20 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you Nick so HiveOS 6.6r1b.2338 has this bug just to confirm?  I'll try 6.5r7
Photo of Scott Anderson

Scott Anderson

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
See CFD-2396 High CPU due to QoS and CFD-2651 High CPU due to Multicast pertaining to AP230s