AP230 Can MESH?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Anyone know how to configure MESH?

I have 5 units AP230 and 1 unit VM AeroHive HM.

Photo of Sun Wei

Sun Wei

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Crowdie

Crowdie, Champ

• 960 Posts
  • 269 Reply Likes
Do you want all five AP230 access points to mesh (if appropriate) or just specific ones?

In HiveManager click on the "Monitor" menu and you should see all your access points listed.  Place a tick to the left of one of the access points you want to mesh and click on the "Modify" button.

In the second section down from the top you will see the access point mode settings:

Select one of:
  • "Use one radio (2.4 GHz) for client access and one radio (5 GHz) for a mesh link"
  • "Use one radio (2.4 GHz) for client access and one radio (5 GHz) for client access and a mesh link"
Save the change to the access point's configuration and repeat for the remaining access points you want to mesh.

A mesh connection will only occur if two access points configured for mesh can detect each others 5 GHz radios at a strong enough RSSI.  I would aim for a RSSI of -72 dBm or greater.
Photo of Bryan Tetlow

Bryan Tetlow

• 78 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
In addition to the instructions noted here --- I recommend (from our own uses of this function) that you make sure you have a static channel on the 5ghz side for anything you want to mesh --- that is to say, make sure the same channel is set on the "master" AP that's connected to the LAN as well as those that connect to it via mesh.

We found that unless this was done, there was no mesh connection happening.

Also note that EACH additional connection to mesh seems to cut thru-put in half with each additional connected AP.  (Nothing is really for free -- you give up bandwidth to make this work)

You will also have to consider your power settings as well.

Using them as either a dedicated mesh, or a shared mesh/client connection works rather well and is very easy to implement.