AP170 questions

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
I have just installed my first 170 AP and have a few questions. Is there an os update for it and how do I get it? There are no updates for the AP170 in myhive cloud. Is there an optimum height to mount the unit? Horizontal or vertical antenna? how do I find the MAC address of the radios in an AP the hive only reports the ethernet connection MAC I think.
Photo of Ralph Malone

Ralph Malone

• 21 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Crowdie

Crowdie, Champ

• 972 Posts
  • 272 Reply Likes
The latest version of HiveOS for the AP170 is 6.1r1.

I am assuming that your AP170 access points are connected to a HMOL rather than an on-premise HiveManager. Go Monitor -> All Devices -> Aerohive APs -> [Place a tick in the check box to the left of the AP to update] -> Update... -> Upload and Activate HiveOS Software -> [Click on the HiveOS Image drop down menu]

You should ensure that your HMOL is running the appropriate firmware version. This can be located in the top right hand corner:

If your HMOL is not running the appropriate firmware version you will need to log a case with Aerohive Support to get the HMOL firmware upgraded.

The optimum height to deploy the AP170 depends on:

1. Which external antennas you are deploying.
  2. What you are trying to achieve.

If you have omni-directional antenna and are just looking for wireless client coverage than a height of 2.4 to 3 meters is commonly appropriate.

If you have semi-directional then the height will be determined by the distance you want to cover and the angle (both vertical and horizontal) that you need to achieve the required coverage.

To obtain the 2.4 and 5 GHz radio's base MAC address:

1. SSH into the access point
  2. Run the "show int wifi0" command for the 2.4 GHz radio and the "show int wifi1" command for the 5 GHz radio
  3. Around the ninth line down you will see "MAC addr=xxxx:xxxx:xxxx; MTU=xxxx;
Photo of Ralph Malone

Ralph Malone

• 21 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Last part was spot on thanks. The part about updates doesn't seem to apply I know how to update and am running 6.1r1 but do not have a 170 in the drop down menu. How do you populate the drop down menu? HMOL is the Manager we are using.
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Ralph,
Aerohive should have automagically installed the appropriate hardware images onto the host that runs your HMOL instance. If you cannot find a image file for the AP170 please contact your supplier or our support and we can remedy that for you.
Photo of Scott M.

Scott M., Sr. Support Engineer

• 104 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Hello Ralph,

As previously stated (above)... the AP170 HiveOS option should be present. If It's not, I can fix it. I'll need to know which server your VHM is on. It will be in the first part of the URL and will look something like "hm-useast61-13." Once I know the server, I can apply the image needed.
Photo of Scott M.

Scott M., Sr. Support Engineer

• 104 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Regarding your question... "how do I find the MAC address of the radios in an AP the hive only reports the Ethernet connection MAC I think."

The radio MAC address would be shown in BSSID but I don't see that as on option for display under Monitor in HiveManager 5X or HiveManager 6X.

This would be a feature request. I know that Engineering and PLM read these posts, but you can also contact your SE as it is official policy that feature requests are to be "Championed" by SEs who then work with PLM.
Photo of Anoop Dawar

Anoop Dawar

• 26 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Also - although I don't think this is the answer you are looking for - the MAC address is also on the label affixed to the HW on the back side of the AP170. Once mounted on a pole or wall - you won't be able to see it anymore. Some customers scan equipment coming in and have this information handy, but many others don't. Having it part of the HiveManager is obviously the right way to go.