AP130 which version?

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
Currently running 6.5r7 on our AP130's.

When I go to Configure:Device Update:Upgrade HiveOS and Aerohive Switch Images, I see the following choices for "Golden" versions:
  • 8.1r1 for AP150W
  • 7.0r4 for AP122
  • 7.0r3 for AP550
  • 7.0r2 for AP250, AP245X
  • 6.5r8 for other APs and Switches
  • 1.0.1.22 for non-HiveOS Aerohive Switches
This indicates to me that our AP130's are to be updated to 6.5r8. However, I am not seeing any sort of changelog or update notes document.

Also, it seems like a lot of choices with 5 different OS's out there right now.

What is going on?

I think I am going to stay where I am for the time being. But, I'm curious how to find information on new updates.  I believe the "HiveManager" was updated last Friday, 8/25/17, but it looks the same to me so far.

Thank you.
Photo of HoldinOn

HoldinOn

• 42 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of Bill W.

Bill W.

• 222 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Photo of HoldinOn

HoldinOn

• 42 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for that direct link. Unfortunately, I used Google to search for it, and found nothing. I also came up empty when trying to use the site search on both Aerohive as well as here on this forum.

Thanks again.
Photo of Robert Nicholas

Robert Nicholas, Employee

• 7 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
You can find release and other information for all current and former releases of HiveOS and HiveManager platforms at the the following URL:

http://docs.aerohive.com

You can find current Golden and Feature image version information in the Golden and Feature Release Information section of the following page:

http://docs.aerohive.com/330000/docs/help/english/ng/Content/learning-whats-new.htm

Feel free to bookmark these URLs, as they never change.
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Hi,

You are right to ask about this.

The UI in HMNG is currently potentially confusing in this area as it labels the initial code versions for APs that do not yet have a golden version available as being golden. We are looking to improve this for a future release of HMNG to make this clearer.

The help documentation correctly mentions what is designated as being golden.

Thanks,

Nick
Photo of HoldinOn

HoldinOn

• 42 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It would be helpful if the UI would show either the changes, or at least a link to the changelog, so people can get there more easily. Thanks.
Photo of HoldinOn

HoldinOn

• 42 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Again, there are a LOT of OS versions. I don't know a lot about how Aerohive (the company) does things, but I'd think it would be easier to consolidate around fewer versions, and get those versions more solid. This would make support a lot simpler. Maybe that is about to happen. Again, for the time being, I am sticking with what we have. The risk is not worth any potential offset at this point in time.
Photo of Bill W.

Bill W.

• 222 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
I'm not sure how long you've been in the industry, but every reputable manufacturer has many OS versions. They have to. Between bug fixes, security patches, new features, etc., there have to be multiple versions. KRACK is a perfect example. Aerohive released the golden version 6.5r8 back in August. Then KRACK came around and they had to quickly release 6.5r8a to patch it.

It's not that any vendor wants to have a plethora of OS versions to make things confusing. But they have to in order to keep their platform secure and up to date with features/improvements. It's hard on them too. They have to code and test each version, which is no small feat.
Photo of HoldinOn

HoldinOn

• 42 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am not familiar with "KRACK". Is this something I need to worry about with version 6.5r7 on AP130's?

Thank you.
Photo of HoldinOn

HoldinOn

• 42 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Still on 6.5r7 here for our AP130's.
Photo of HoldinOn

HoldinOn

• 42 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Is there any sort of matrix spelling out differences for each version? The 6.5r8a seems to be working, to the best of my knowledge. I thought I had read on here somewhere that there were issues with Apple devices not connecting properly.  Thank you.
Photo of Bill W.

Bill W.

• 222 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
iOS 11 has Wi-Fi issues. It is not an issue with HiveOS. You'll find that iOS 11 users are having Wi-Fi connectivity issues with most vendors, not just Aerohive.
Photo of HoldinOn

HoldinOn

• 42 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you for clearing this up. Has Apple fixed this yet?
Photo of Bill W.

Bill W.

• 222 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
iOS 11.1.0 may be a solution. I just read on a listserv that iOS 11.1.0 resolved an issue they were having with on boarding. So it's possible that it may fix some of the other Wi-Fi issues that 11.0.x iOS devices are encountering.

I'll have to check with some of my users to see if they can test this out.
Photo of HoldinOn

HoldinOn

• 42 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The 6.5r8b version finally showed up. It seems to have installed OK. Will keep an eye on it. Thank you.