AP130 vs AP122

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
Hi peop, AP130 was i think the "smallest" AC AP. I see that AP122 is released and i would like to know what the main diffenreces are between those two. 

I could not find a tool that shows it in an easy way :) thanks
Photo of Volkan Bagci

Volkan Bagci

• 55 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Jonas Dekkers

Jonas Dekkers

• 152 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
AP122 has less cpu.

bluetooth low energy and usb are included in the Ap122
Photo of G. Dawson

G. Dawson

• 13 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Photo of Sam Lynn

Sam Lynn, Moderator

• 96 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Hello Volkan,

Jonas summed it up for you, but for a complete comparison you'll want to look at the data sheets for both devices. I've included the links to the product pages below for you. You'll want to focus on the tech specs for both devices.

AP 122- http://www.aerohive.com/products/access-points/ap122.html?_ga=1.43468262.236479248.1446156133

AP 130-http://www.aerohive.com/products/access-points/ap130.html?_ga=1.43468262.236479248.1446156133

Hope this helps!
Photo of Volkan Bagci

Volkan Bagci

• 55 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thanks Sam, i did look at the data sheet, but some of the info is a little too technical so i just was curious about the differences. Thanks for the help...it was fast :) 
Photo of Carsten Buchenau

Carsten Buchenau, Champ

• 356 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
Very roughly: Plan AP122 for up to 15 clients per AP and AP130 for up to 30 clients.

(These are Sales numbers, so use with care, but it gives you an idea).

If you plan to use Connect only, AP122 is probably sufficient. If you might use Select later, and want to use more QOS and Application Control rules, use AP130 (my own assessment, based on experience with AP130 and the fact that the AP122 has less CPU power).
Photo of Chris Kelly

Chris Kelly

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
FWIW - we've had plenty more than 15 clients on a AP121 and near 100 on 3 or 4 without issues.  For normal deployments we use 121s (now 122s) and for places like a basket ball court that we'd expect a lot of clients, 230s.  The 130 is an outdoor unit, might be OK on a high ceiling in a large indoor space maybe, but not for much else inside work IMHO.
(Edited)
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Hi all,

Yes, a significant differentiator is that the  AP130 has greater CPU resource available than the AP122.

These two AP models are targeted at different use cases therefore.

Thanks,

Nick
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Hi,

I ought to add that for many deployments without higher density needs, we find the additional CPU resource available on the AP130 is an overkill and unnecessary, it often does not get used. The AP122 is comparatively a much better AP than the AP121 that it replaces.

Cheers,

Nick
(Edited)
Photo of Theeban Suppiah

Theeban Suppiah

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Nick,

Are you able to advice size of RAM availability for AP122 & AP130? 
And also percentage of CPU resources for both AP's

Thank you

Regards,
Theeban 
Photo of Lionel

Lionel

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hello,
Do you know if the radiation paterns af AP130 and ap122 are the same?
In the DS of AP122, the radiation paterns is not properly graduated so difficult to compare the two.
Thanks
Photo of gunverth

gunverth

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Aerohic says AP121 is for "coverage oriented environments". Does that mean it has better radio than AP130?
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
No, it means the AP130 is targeted for both coverage and capacity, where as the AP121/AP122 was/is targeted for just coverage.
(Edited)
Photo of gunverth

gunverth

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Good. Now I know what differs and why AP122 is cheaper. It's budget oriented and would be a very good alternative to Airport Extreme once Apple stops manufacturing them. As a direct replacement.
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
The AP122 is a great AP. It is the next generation replacement for the AP121.  We also find that what some people think of as being a higher density/higher capacity use case often turns out not to be, the AP122 being ideal for such deployments.
(Edited)
Photo of pv trong

pv trong

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Can I install lede/openWrt or coovachilli on UP122 and AP130?