AP130: Upload configuration - time out

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
Hello community!

We are having problems with our AP130-access points. We are using the cloud-based Hive Manager (I assume it's 'HiveManager NG').

As soon as we select one or multiple access point(s), click on 'update' and select 'full update' so that a complete configuration is pushed.

As soon as I click 'Start', we see the progress bar move to 25% and....that's it. It stops and eventually the process stops: 'Abort' is shown.

The description shows the following:
Upload Captive Web Portal Files: The captive web portal files have been uploaded.
Upload Configuration: The operation timed out.
Update User Database: The upload operation was aborted because a previous process failed.
Device Reboot: The upload operation was aborted because a previous process failed.

We have checked ALL settings, we haven't changed the main configuration, we haven't changed network policy settings... all I did was update most APs to the new HiveOS software.

Our HiveManager runs on 6.8r6.
Our APs are running on either 7.1r1 or 6.8r1.

A downgrade back to 6.8r1 is working, but both versions time out when trying to push a configuration.

I can post more details if needed.
Thanks for reading and I hope you can help me!

Julian
Photo of Julian Maartens

Julian Maartens

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of M. Boekholt

M. Boekholt

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Is it possible there is a firewall between the online hive manager and the AP's that won't allow you to pusch the new config.

The hivemanager normaly updates as whell (before updating the AP's) and then you must be shore to change your firewall if you only permit the FQDN from the online hivemanager. This is because it changes when you update to an other FQDN. It looks like the time out is because of no communication for updating ( a port that must be allowed) and some people (like me) also make the combination of the FQDN to allow communication in their firewall.

There should be a check that you can do in the online hive manager for it.

I'm not shore which one right now.

Hope this takes you to the right direction.

Photo of Julian Maartens

Julian Maartens

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi, thank you very much for your reply! We are using a EdgeRouter with built-in firewall, and Windows Firewall on the physical server. I logged on to the APs using SSH and I did some ping tests and they were all good. Also, disabling the firewall did not make a difference.
Photo of Julian Maartens

Julian Maartens

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Gary, thank you, but we are using the cloud-based HiveManager. I assume we can not update this ourselves? If we can, how? If not, how?

Edit: I checked after I logged on to our HiveManager: Home > Administration > HiveManager Administration > Update Software: Available Upgrade Version: None available
(Edited)
Photo of Gary Smith

Gary Smith, Official Rep

• 299 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Hi Julian,

The HMOL upgrade should be possible soon (maybe next week). 

Kind Regards,
Gary Smith
Photo of Julian Maartens

Julian Maartens

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Can you tell me if we can run HiveOS 7.1r1 on our AP120's when the HiveManager is running on 6.8r6? Or will that result in configuration errors? I believe the problems I described above have started since installing the HiveOS 7.1 on our APs. Thanks again!
Photo of Gary Smith

Gary Smith, Official Rep

• 299 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Hi Julian,

http://docs.aerohive.com/330000/docs/help/english/documentation/6.8r6_HM_ReleaseNotes.pdf

"New Features and Enhancements

This release adds HiveOS 7.1r1 support for the AP130, AP1130, AP230, AP250, AP550, and AP245X."

I may have made a mistake in thinking that 6.8r7 has a fix for this. I would recommend opening a support ticket with your support provider so that Aerohive can take a look at what is going on.

Kind Regards,
Gary Smith
Photo of Julian Maartens

Julian Maartens

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Sorry, I think I also made a mistake. We have AP130's and not AP120's. So that means the update should work for us aswell. As I said I can already roll out that version to our AP's, but we see timeouts on all devices now when trying to do a configuration push.

Can we create a support ticket ourselves?
Photo of Julian Maartens

Julian Maartens

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
A bit late, but anyways: this problem was resolved on it's own. Our HiveManager was updated and the problems were gone.
Photo of HoldinOn

HoldinOn

• 42 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
We had a similar issue, and ended up downgrading to the "golden version", which I think was/is 6.5r5 for the AP130. That took care of it. Let someone else be the guinea pigs.
Photo of HoldinOn

HoldinOn

• 42 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I just double-checked, and we are on 6.5r6.