AP130 upgrade timed out & offline after upgrade to HiveOS 6.8r1 Jakarta.-130440

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • (Edited)
Upgraded all our AP's (AP1130's and AP130's ) yesterday morning from HiveOS 6.6r2a Irvine.2309 to 6.8r1.  All the AP1130's restarted ok but all the AP130's timed out.  It's a remote site so I can not get to it for several weeks.  The best I can do is get someone to press the pinhole for 8 seconds and then I Reset Device to Default from Hive Manager Online and push down the configs.  That has only worked on one AP130 so far - the other 6 are still offline.  I can VPN into the site and ssh into the other AP's but I'm not able to ping the problem AP's at all.

Any tricks to getting these AP's to factory reset?  All I've been told is to push the pinhole for 8 seconds and we should see the light blink at about the 5 second mark.
Photo of Paul Ainslie

Paul Ainslie

• 25 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Paul Ainslie

Paul Ainslie

• 25 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I think I've figured out the trick... I got them to power off/on the AP's and THEN press the pinhole for 8 seconds.  That worked on 2 of the AP's so far...
Photo of Adam Boggs

Adam Boggs

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Hi Paul,

I had the same issue with my AP230's. I pushed out a config change to all my AP's, and didn't notice that the box to upgrade the firmware was automatically checked as well. ALL of my 35 AP's in 4 states went offline, no ping, no SSH. I had to travel to one facility and use a scissors lift to run "reboot backup" on each AP using a console cable.

There is something wrong with 6.8r1, and support hasn't had any further insite into the issue as of yet.

Photo of Paul Ainslie

Paul Ainslie

• 25 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Yeah, kinda sucks.  I actually only got 3 AP's to come online by getting someone onsite to do the 8 second pinhole reset.  I'll have to fly out there and fix the rest using a console cable as you did.
Photo of Bill W.

Bill W.

• 222 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
I've got over 3800 AP230s, and haven't seen any issues upgrading them to 6.8r1. Our HM is on-prem though.  I will say that I have seen this behavior in the AP121s with a firmware upgrade (but I can't remember which version).  All that was needed to remedy the situation was a power cycle of the AP.

What I can suggest from the issue we had with the AP121s is to just reboot the AP first and see if it comes back online. This was relatively easy for us as we use managed PoE switches.  So it is easy to power cycle APs remotely.

Also, if you have the admin console setup, you can use that instead of having to use a scissors lift to gain console access.  That's what it is for.
Photo of Adam Boggs

Adam Boggs

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

We tried rebooting with shut/no shut on the switch, pushing in the reset button, to no avail. And since the AP's wouldn't adopt a DHCP address, there was no way to SSH to the admin console. They all defaulted to 192.168.1.1/16. I was able to set a laptop on that VLAN with an IP in that address range and get to the admin console, but that trick didn't work at my other sites.

Support told me there is an issue with the LLDP power setting being greater than 150.

http://docs.aerohive.com/330000/docs/help/english/documentation/6.8r1_HiveOS_ReleaseNotes.pdf

(Edited)