AP120 access points

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
How many device can a Aerohive AP120 handle before it gets to hot or unstable?

Also i want to know, where can i download the newest firmware, so i can update my AP120 accespoints.

After updating the firmware, does the AP120 retain his configuration?

Is the newest Aerohive version 6.1r2 safe to upgrade?

Can i upgrade my accespoints directly from 5.1r1 to 6.1r2?

My regards,
Bayram
Photo of bdonmez

bdonmez

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Bayram,
It depends. We generally recommend around 30 clients for best performance on the AP120, for customers whose clients are all busily using the wireless network. You can easily double that, depending on the workload presented by your clients.

Yes, we always retain your existing config when you upgrade the firmware.

Personally, I think that 6.1r2 is the best most stable release in the last year, so yes I strongly recommend you do consider upgrading.

If you have the on-premises version then your HiveManager should be able to download the firmware from our servers, HiveManager Online should automatically repopulate the list of firmware for you.
Photo of bdonmez

bdonmez

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello Mike, thx for your quick reply. How can i update the firmware of the AP's? True which menu in Hive manager?

My regards,
Bayram
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Bayram,
HiveManager can upgrade an AP to it's own version, but no newer. If you haven't first upgraded your HiveManger to version 6.1r2 then you won't be able to upgrade any devices to that version.

Once you've upgraded, go to Monitor, select the devices you want to upgrade, and then hit Update. You'll notice this leads to a dropdown menu, the first item is "Update Devices", the second is "Advanced" which leads to a menu that should be familiar to you, but you don't need to use this. That toplevel "Update Devices" button is new, and will update firmware, confgurations, and CWP pages all in one swell foop.
Photo of Tim Snider

Tim Snider

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Mike,
I just upgraded a site with 71 AP120 units from 5.1r5 to 6.1r2. We are doing one site as a test to validate that this version is stable. Out of the 71, we have 4 that uploaded the firmware to 100% and then bricked. A power cycle of the PoE has not restarted any of the units. Any ideas what is causing this and what we can do besides replacing them? I have about 200 more 120s to upgrade if this site does well.
Thanks for any help.
Tim
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Tim,
I can think of two possible causes.

The AP120 has less RAM than more modern platforms, and it is possible that after several days or weeks of operation there is no longer a sufficient amount of free RAM available for the upgrade process to complete successfully. You can try to prove or disprove this thesis by rebooting the devices before you perform the upgrade. Of course, that will stretch out your window of service interruption, but it's better than a bricked device.

Another possible cause would be a flaw in our bulk upgrade process. It's conceivable that we pushed images to several devices but the upstream devices received the complete file and rebooted while the downstream AP120 was in the process of updating it's bootloader when PoE power went away. You could prove or disprove this by selecting the mesh devices for upgrade first, then upgrading portals.

Our support folks know how to recover from (many? I hesitate to say all) situations where a device has been bricked. Please open a support case.