AP1130, drops Primary Hivemanager (on premis) and reverts to HMOL every week or so.

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago

I have changed the primary HM on the AP at least 8 times over the past few months.  One day it will just stop connecting, but I can still Ping and SSH to the AP.  I check the HM it is talking to and HMOL is indicated rather than my On Premis device.  Once I change the Primary HM and reboot the AP will start talking to the HM again.

Any and all suggestions to make the setting stick would be helpful.

Photo of Fred Fish

Fred Fish

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Jonathan Hurtt

Jonathan Hurtt

• 98 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
Fred,

The best way would be to open a support ticket to have your SN removed from the Cloud Based Redirector. It seems that your device is losing connection to HM On-Premises and going through its discovery process for a new HM and finding the cloud based HMOL. 

If you have access to the HMOL account still you can simply log in and remove it from the Unmanaged Devices but if you do not have access then you will want to open a support ticket. 

It might be wise to remove all SN that are associated with your HMOL account just to prevent this from happening with other devices. 

Hope that helps. 
Photo of Brian Powers

Brian Powers, Champ

• 396 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
You could also change the default HM for the device.  By default it most likely goes to redirector.aerohive.com

capwap client default-server-name <string>
    <string>   Enter IP address or name for CAPWAP server (1-32 chars)

save config after that.  Now the primary address and the default should be the same, so if it loses its primary, it will fall back to... its primary! :)
Photo of Aaron Storey

Aaron Storey

• 32 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
We had the same problem with a few different devices and contacted support to have the Redirector added back to my HMOL account. I then exported all of our SN's and added them to the Redirector listing our on prem HM IP.