AP1130 - Any need for protective cover?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
I know that the AP1130 can handle the weather elements since it's an outdoor AP, but I was wondering if anyone has implemented any kind of security protective cover for their AP1130 access points.  My fear is that the antennas could be stolen since they'll be mounted to the exterior walls of our schools, anywhere from 10ft to 12 ft above ground level.
Photo of Rob Pritchard

Rob Pritchard

• 86 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Metka Dragos

Metka Dragos

• 51 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Rob, if you decide to use an enclosure, make sure that you do not use metal, like metal mesh. Enclosure may be more expensive than buying new set of antennas if they get stolen.
Photo of Rob Pritchard

Rob Pritchard

• 86 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Yeah, I know not to use metal.  We've purchased protective covers (plastic) for our AP230 access points that we have installed in the gyms to help protect them against flying objects. :-)  Just hoping the antennas don't get stolen or damaged, so I wanted to see what others have done in this regard for those who currently have AP1130s installed.
Photo of Daryl Reseigh

Daryl Reseigh

• 11 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hi Rob, I have 2 x AP1130's at my school. We just fitted the security screws to ensure the AP itself doesn't go anywhere, but haven't done anything with the antennas. I'm not too concerned as fitting them 10ft + means someone would need a ladder to get to them. Students wouldn't have access to such tools, so i think its as safe as can be. I guess you could make a plastic box to go over it, but i don't feel its necessary for us.
Photo of Carsten Buchenau

Carsten Buchenau, Champ

• 356 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
Same here. As by the nature of the device, it should be installed reasonable high, giving good coverage to the outdoor area, which usually means that they very inaccessible.

Alternatively, you could consider using sector antennas, which might be an interesting option anyway, as in most cases you do not need to cover the wall behind the AP. And those antennas would be bolted to the wall as well. Yes, a bit more expensive, but probably not more than a proper enclosure, plus you might be able to improve the coverage & performance.
Photo of mr bee

mr bee

• 77 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Rob, you could use a plexi glass box (with metal cover) with a lock.