AP 230 won't connect to HMOL

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
Hi All,

I have four AP 230's, and suddenly one of them will no longer connect to HMOL.

capwap ping to my HMOL DNS record is fine.

I have tried setting TCP mode on port 80, and UDP on port 12222, still can't connect.

there have been no recent updates to firmware on any of the devices, yet only one refuses to connect.

I have disabled the capwap client, saved, rebooted and re-enabled. no joy. It no longer wants to show up in HMOL

show log flash returns

ah_auth: ah_auth_get_usrpro_vlan: Get vlan group by upid(1) failed: Invalid argument2017-04-28 09:47:12 err     capwap: CAPWAP JOIN->send packet error!
2017-04-28 09:47:12 err     capwap: CAPWAP assemble the packet failed!
2017-04-28 09:47:12 err     capwap: CAPWAP: fill packet failed!(header len:0)
2017-04-28 09:47:12 err     capwap: CAPWAP:fill option failed!
2017-04-28 09:47:12 err     capwap: CAPWAP: fill option in discovery failed!
2017-04-28 09:47:12 err     capwap: CAPWAP analyse location failed! (location:"Footscray)
2017-04-28 09:47:12 err     capwap: CAPWAP can not found correspond char:"Footscray

If I enable debug, I can see that it does initially connect, but then it gets booted roughly 10 seconds later, then never re-connects.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

thanks
Steve
Photo of Stephen Venville

Stephen Venville

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Sam Lynn

Sam Lynn, Moderator

• 96 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Hello Stephen,

Based on those logs it looks like the AP isn't picking up the correct VLAN. That doesn't track with the idea that it connects and then disconnects a few seconds later. To rule out a VLAN issue, can we try swapping the AP that won't connect for you to a different switch port (preferably a switch port currently used by a working AP so we know the switch port is good)?

If that doesn't help, the next step I'd recommend is setting the AP back to factory settings (either with the CLI command "Reset config" or by holding down the physical reset button on the AP for 10 seconds. This should force it to query the redirector, which should direct the AP to your hive manager if the connection is supported (i.e. by back end set up of the VLAN, a DHCP server giving out IP addresses, etc).

Hope this helps!
Photo of Luke Harris

Luke Harris

• 265 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
I would have to agree with Sam - having had this issue with a number of AP121's in the past. The best option is to wipe the device via the CLI. It's also worth double checking that your switch ports are set correctly to ensure the AP finds the management VLAN (or as suggested, try a 'known' good port'). 
(Edited)