AP 230, what is the use of 2nd ethernet port

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
I have requirement, where the customer want to use first port to connect to his enterprise network and another port to the Guest network.. at the backbone both these network are separate.. Want to understand if the same this is possible or not.. thanks.. 
Photo of Anil Singh

Anil Singh

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of G. Dawson

G. Dawson

• 13 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Yes, this is doable.
Normally you'd use the 2nd link as a backup - to a different switch for example.  Or in a mesh you can use it to connect ethernet devices via the wifi bridge/mesh.

For splitting the network traffic - In the device configuration->optional settings->interface and Network settings,  you'll want to put both eth0 and eth1 as Backhaul.  Then in Advanced port settings you'll want to sepcify the allowed and native vlans for each network.

Gareth
(Edited)
Photo of Anil Singh

Anil Singh

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

thanks for your reply.. I don't want to use another port as backup.. I want to use it to connect to another Separate backbone network??

My requirement is very clear:

1.  NIC1- Connect to Network (Enterprise) and access Enterprise network via the SSID mapped to NIC1

2. NIC2- Connect to Guest Network and access Guest Network via SSID mapped to NIC 2

in Backbone..

Network for Enterprise and Guest would be completely separately (Physically also)

Kindly advise.

Best Regards

Anil Singh

Photo of Anil Singh

Anil Singh

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
SSID in Enterprise NIC would be ENT and SSID in Guest NIC would be Guest
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Hi Anil,

Your question should have been answered via you support case with us, 202208.

Thanks,

Nick
(Edited)
Photo of Anil Singh

Anil Singh

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

So what is the use of 2nd NIC??

Can we not used it as Etherchannel means making both port logically single??

Pls suggest.

Photo of Carsten Buchenau

Carsten Buchenau, Champ

• 356 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
Anil, I am confused...

In your original post and your answer to Gareth ("My requirement is very clear...") you are asking if it is possible to handle certain traffic (a dedicated VLAN) via the 2nd NIC, which was already answered with a solution by Gareth in his first response.

But now you are asking for for an Etherchannel / port bonding setting of both ports, which is of course possible, but a totally different configuration as asked for in the first place.

Everyone here is happy to help and explain answers in more detail if needed, but you have to be clear on your request.

So, if you write again what you want to achieve and what is still not clear considering previous answers, I am sure people are happy to help :-)

carsten