AP-121's have dropped connection to Hive Manager

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
I have three AP-121s at a remote site that have all dropped connection with the Hive Manager. Originally I could ping all three so tried to SSH in but was denied access despite using the default credentials (which have never been changed to my knowledge). Working with a non-technical person at the site I rebooted one of the APs which produced no change except that I can no longer get a reply from PING. I talked them through a factory restore which again produced no result other than some unusual LED activity. To my knowledge there is no networking issue that would be causing the loss of communication, and after the power cycles I can now only see one remaining AP by it's IP. Do I have any options other than physically connecting to the console? Any suggestions appreciated...
Photo of Loftus

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Gary Smith

Gary Smith, Official Rep

• 298 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Hi Loftus,

You know the Mac address of the AP as it's on the AP label. If you know the vlan that the AP should be getting an IP from you could try and track down it's IP by way of an arp search.

If you are successful in finding the IP you should be able to SSH using the default credentials; admin / aerohive.

Kind Regards,
Gary Smith
Photo of Aaron Storey

Aaron Storey

• 32 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I have had similar situations where devices would drop out of HM. I was always able to find their IP and connect via SSH. When I was able to log in and issue a show capwap client command they were pointing to the wrong CAPWAP server, we have an On-Prem HM. If you are using HMOL make sure the serial numbers of the devices are in your HM instance. If not then add them then have the onsite person try the factory restore again. If they are then I think you will need to contact support to make sure they are directed at the proper HMOL account.
Photo of Mark Techa

Mark Techa

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
good point from Aaron

Loftus, are you using On Prem or Online?
Photo of Loftus

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks everyone who replied and a special tip o' the cap to Clint from Sektor...

Turns out the default password had been changed on the APs. After figuring that out we were able to SSH in and determine that UDP 12222 was being blocked. Still looking into why that was the case but after re-opening the port and re-applying the config, all APs are back online with the HMOL.