AP 121 high CPU utilisation

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
AP 121 s even when no client is connected show slowly increasing CPU load, once at 100% tthe AP needs to be rebooted. The Hive OS version is HiveOS 6.5r3 Honolulu build2530.
Looks like a cli update of the same Hive OS helps, but is it a fix.
Cheers Carsten
Photo of Carsten Loemker

Carsten Loemker

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Gary Smith

Gary Smith, Official Rep

• 299 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Hi Carsten,

Can you capture some outputs for this thread please?

"show cpu detail"
"show system processes state"

Kind Regards,
Gary Smith
Photo of Webster Alfonso

Webster Alfonso

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Carsten

Have you gotten any more information? We are experiencing the exact same issue.

Webster
Photo of Aaron Storey

Aaron Storey

• 32 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
We had the same issue however it basically bricked two schools worth of AP121's. Aerohive support replaced all of them. We deleted the image from HM and let it re-download then newly updated AP's did not exhibit the same issue. We also noticed if we queued up a reload of the OS it took a long time but did eventually go through could be a way to revive them without tech support replacing. From the case notes on 6.5r3 Honolulu in the known issues section. 

HOS-5024

The AP121 sometimes becomes unresponsive when uploading a configuration containing application signatures.

Workaround: Do not upload AVC signatures to the AP121 and AP141 access points. In addition, upgrading these devices to HiveOS 6.5r3 uploads the latest AVC signatures on the devices. 

Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
It sounds, prima facie, like a software issue and not a hardware issue.
Photo of Gary Smith

Gary Smith, Official Rep

• 299 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Hi Aaron,

From the help guide;

"HiveOS

To ensure HiveOS image upgrades to Aerohive
devices follow best practices and are successful, Aerohive recommends
rebooting the devices before performing HiveOS image upgrades and
scheduling upgrades during off-peak network utilization time periods."

This advice is directed at the 100 series AP's as they have less memory/CPU. I am not sure of what happened to your AP's but it could be that at the time of the upgrade they had particuarly low available memory.

Kind Regards,
Gary Smith
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
My "It sounds, prima facie, like a software issue and not a hardware issue." comment is completely on the wrong thread. Sorry, it's out of content! Not sure how I achieved that yesterday, I was obviously having a senior moment.
(Edited)
Photo of Carsten Loemker

Carsten Loemker

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello everyone, please apologise for the delayed post. The issue is now fixed by rolling the AP121s back to HiveOS 6.4r1g.2138.
In a relatively small deployment, the school has 44 APs so far, 20 of which are 121s, I have made the following observations.
Having all AP 121s running HiveOS 6.5r3 Honolulu build2530 will cause 100% CPU on all AP121s even if some have only 1 or two clients connected, e.g. in a remote staffroom scenario.
I then rolled back to the above version and all APs work as one would expected.
Wish at time updates would cause such a hassle.
Cheers Carsten
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
Did you get the output, as suggested by Gary, from:

"show cpu detail"
"show system processes state"
Photo of Carsten Loemker

Carsten Loemker

• 14 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello Nick, no haven't yet tested that. I just needed a resolution quickly as users were understandably not happy, first week of school back
Will test that later. Funny enough now that I have just one AP121 left with the latest HiveOS 6.5r3 Honolulu build2530 that one is humming along just fine.
It's a riddle :-)
Photo of Gary Smith

Gary Smith, Official Rep

• 299 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Hi Carsten,

I will assume that you have some logs from before rolling back to 6.4r1g. If so, can you post the outputs;
"show system proc"
"show cpu detail"

Hopefully you have the techdatas from the AP running 6.5r3 before rolling back?

Kind Regards,
Gary Smith
Photo of Webster Alfonso

Webster Alfonso

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
We had to roll back our 121's to 6.4r1g.2138 as well. It seems that took care of the CPU 100% issue.