Antenna Type config parameter

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
I am deploying an AP1130 with an external Directional antenna.  I want to broadcast 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.  In the AP config there is a parameter called "Antenna Type, with a drop down menu with the choices of "Omni" or "Directional" on the 5Ghz radio, but only "Omni" for the 2.4Ghz radio.

Aerohive does not seem to know what changing this config parameter does. When asked, they say they don't normally discuss the intricacies of their software and hardware with their customers, but they recommended that the config setting should match the physical antenna type being used...which their software does not allow in the case of 2.4Ghz.

I'm hoping someone in the Aerohive community might know what changing this parameter actually does to the function of the AP, if it does anything at all, or is it simply a passive label to let the operator know which type of antenna is being used?

Thanks in advance.
Photo of John

John

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Crowdie

Crowdie, Champ

• 972 Posts
  • 272 Reply Likes
As an educated guess I would say it advises the access point the dBi gain of the antenna.  This value would then be used in the EIRP calculations to ensure regulatory compliance in your country.

To test this create a SSH connection to the AP1130 and execute the sh int wifi1 command.  About half way down you will see the EIRP calcuation.  Now change the antenna setting in the HMOL and push the change to the AP1130.  Create another SSH connection (as the original one will have disconnected) and execute the sh int wifi1 command again.  Is the EIRP calculation still the same?  I suspect the antenna gain value in the calculation will be different.
(Edited)