AH-AP130 no communication between 2.4 and 5GHz clients (inter-station traffic is enabled)

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
Hello everyone,

First post here, so be gentle.

I recently received an AH-AP130 which I'm busy trialing. It's running smoothly for the most part but I have one annoying issue which I can't seem to overcome. It is running 8.1r2a.

I have some chromecast devices on 2.4GHz, and some tablet devices on 2.4/5GHz. Preferably I want all 5GHz capable devices to run on the 5GHz spectrum and that's how they normally run, but when this happens they are unable to see the chromecast devices on the 2.4GHz at all. If however I force them to switch to 2.4GHz they instantly see the chromecasts and can connect to them.

My first thought was that this sounds like network isolation so I verified that my inter-station traffic is enabled on both 2.4 and 5Ghz and it is enabled. Is there a global setting somewhere that allows or blocks communication between 2.4 and 5?

I have replaced my normal AP with this AP so the rest of the network is unchanged and hasn't been given me any issues before. Therefore I am quite certain that the issue pertains to the Aerohive AP.

Any tips would be appreciated?
Photo of Wyzak

Wyzak

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Dianne Dunlap

Dianne Dunlap

• 75 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Assuming you can ping from the 5GHz to the 2.4GHz device-wise and everything is working except Chromecast, perhaps multicast is not getting across.  Are you seeing multicast in a sniff?
Photo of Wyzak

Wyzak

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Dianne,

Thank you for responding to my query. I've found some time to do more debugging. If I connect to SSID5 I can't ping the server on the network or the chromecast, but I can access the Internet.

If I connect to SSID I can ping both the server and the chromecast, and I can access the Internet.

SSID5 is the 5GHz SSID, and SSID is the 2.4GHz SSID.

I've confirmed that the configurations for both SSID and SSID5 are identical. I don't understand why one would work and the other one would not. The most important setting that I can find there is the "enable inter-station traffic" and that is enabled for both 2.4 and 5.
Photo of Dianne Dunlap

Dianne Dunlap

• 75 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
It's really not clear to me whether or not the SSIDs are tied to the same vlan or not.  Assuming they are tied to different vlans like vlan 10=10.10.10/24 with gateway 10.10.10.1 and vlan 20=10.20.20/24 with gateway 10.20.20.1, you are able to do things like pinging the default gateway on 'the other' vlan?   And 'netstat -rn' shows a route to 'the other network' is known?  And doing a span port on the default gateway shows the traffic arriving and being routed to 'the other vlan'?

If they are tied to the same vlan, then I agree it makes no sense and you should open a support ticket.
Photo of Wyzak

Wyzak

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Dianne,

They are both on VLAN 1. I will submit a support ticket then. Thank you for your help!