Aerohive Manager and AP 121 question.

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Hi all,

I have 2 units of Aerohive AP121 connected to a Hivemanager (vmware). I setup both APs on a flat network with 1 SSID using WPA2.

Then I have clients connected to both of the AP. Now the problem is that, after a couple of hours, all the clients got disconnected from the AP and unable to connect back. But at the same time, Hivemanager still showing the clients are connected with health status all at 100 (Green). I tried refreshing the Hivemanager->Active clients page several times but still the disconnected clients are there.

Anyone faced this kind of problem before? Appreciate if someone could shed some light here.

Thanks.
Photo of Vernon Cheong

Vernon Cheong

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Crowdie

Crowdie, Champ

• 972 Posts
  • 272 Reply Likes
A couple of questions:

• What version of the Aerohive firmware are you running on the HiveManager/AP121s?
  • How are the wireless clients authenticating? 802.1x, Private PSK, PSK,etc.
  • What operating system(s) are the wireless clients running? Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8; Mac OS; iOS (which version); Android (which version)
  • How many devices are in the "flat network"? I commonly see flat VLAN designs in schools and as the number of devices increases the performance on the network decreases. If the number of devices connected to the "flat network" gets too high then you start getting timeouts on the network.
Photo of Vernon Cheong

Vernon Cheong

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
@Crowdie

1) Hivemanager = 6.0r2a / AP121s = 5.1r3a

2) Wireless clients authentication = wpa2-psk

3) Wireless clients OS = Android 4.1.2

4) There are 32 wireless clients devices (Max) in the flat network environment excluding 1 non-manageable switch, 1 Hivemanager vmware server, & 2 AP121s.

Thanks.
Photo of Crowdie

Crowdie, Champ

• 972 Posts
  • 272 Reply Likes
The first thing I would do is one of the following:

1. Upgrade the HiveManager and HiveOS on the access points to 6.1r1

2. or....
  3. Upgrade the HiveOS on the access points to 6.0r2 (so that the access points and HiveManager are running the same firmware version)

Either way I am a great believer that Aerohive production wireless networks should have HiveManagers and access points running the same firmware version.

As the Android firmware you are running is 4.x that should be OK. Android devices running 2.x and 3.x firmware can cause issues (as can iOS devices running firmware earlier then 5.1.1).
Photo of Vernon Cheong

Vernon Cheong

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
@Crowdie

Appreciate your feedback. Will try upgrading the firmware as suggested.

Thanks.
Photo of George Douglas

George Douglas

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Another thought: do all the clients disconnect at the same time? You might need to look for scheduling issues, or external factors that are impacting the wireless.

You could try activating the Client Monitor and tracking one of the clients to see if that gives any clue as to why it cannot reconnect once it has disconnected.

Does this problem go away after time? In other words, are the clients able to re-connect again after a while? If so, then you should be also looking for some kind of Spectrum interference which is making the clients struggle to communicate with the network.