Aerohive defaults to when DHCP is down

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago

One of our clients had DHCP go down when power was lost. Power came back (Servers stayed off) and the Aerohives powered up. The aerohives self-assigned an IP address of When the servers came back up - the aerohive's had the same IP address as the router.

Our client would like to change this behavior so he doesn't have to worry about power cycling all of his Aerohive's after turning on his servers in the event of a power failure.

When windows doesn't get a DHCP address - an APIPA address is assigned. Strange that the Aerohive self-assigns a commonly used router IP when DHCP isn't available.

Photo of Chris Anzalone

Chris Anzalone

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2487 Posts
  • 449 Reply Likes
Have you considered configuring the APs to have fallback to defined addresses that would not collide?
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1026 Posts
  • 269 Reply Likes
Nick's advice is spot-on. When our APs cannot get an IP address from the network then your recourse is to connect directly to them to troubleshoot why. Falling back to the link-local address range makes them unfindable.
Photo of Chris Anzalone

Chris Anzalone

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Outstanding! Made a reservation - and set the fallback IP and gateway to an IP that would bring the unit's online once the network came up.

I'm wondering why I haven't seen this problem more often. Can we make this change at a bulk level? I could only figure out how to do it one AP at a time. We have some clients with 50+ AP's which would take some time to reconfigure.

Photo of thewifigeek

thewifigeek, Champ

• 86 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
To the best of my knowledge, you will need to edit individually.