8 to 12 Port Gigabit POE Switches/Simpler 10/100 Non-POE 24 Port Switches Please

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
I would love to see smaller port switches. In our Southern California school district we are starting to look at replacing our aging access layer network. With a majority of wireless clients and very few wired clients it is becoming less necessary to have large port density with POE, and gigabit ports. Many of our schools have 5 to 8 network cabinets that feed a limited number of classrooms. With an 8 to 12 port gigabit POE switch we could provide the needed POE and gigabit speed for Aerohive access points and VOIP phones. Perhaps even a 24 port 10/100 non POE switch that would be less expensive to provide the ability to have unified management to the rest of the network as well. I could imagine many schools will start to build their networks this way as so many of our clients especially move away from the wired network and toward wireless. In education the days of labs and desktops in classrooms is almost gone. Now it is all about the Laptop and quickly moving to the tablet devices. Most of these don't even have the option to plug into a wired network.
Photo of Aaron Storey

Aaron Storey

• 32 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Krishna

Krishna, Employee

• 22 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Aaron - I like the idea for the compact switch. I am not sure I understand the need for 10/100 24 port non POE for unified management. Wouldn't Hive Manager be a better place to manage individual switches and treat them with the right configuration anyways?