802.11ac access points

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
I want to know whether Areohive 802.11ac access points available in the market for both indoor & outdoor use and what is maximum throughput supported by this devices
Photo of Krishna Prasad

Krishna Prasad

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Stefan van der Wal

Stefan van der Wal, Champ

• 70 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Hi Krishna,

As an Aerohive techy working for the distri, my information is not entirely up to date considering the roadmap. But currently the following AP's are available in the 802.11ac standard.

Aerohive AP 370: A robust indoor AP with internal antenna's.
http://www.aerohive.com/products/acce...

Aerohive AP 390: A robust indoor AP with external antenna's.

To my knowledge there's no Aerohive 802.11ac AP for outdoors (yet) and all I know on this subject are rumours.

Stefan
Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Stefan is absolutely correct. We have only offered indoor 802.11ac APs to date. We generally don't comment on future plans or unreleased products in this forum.
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
It is probably reasonable and a safe bet to assume that one is being worked on and that it will hit the market at some point in the not too distant future. Perhaps just bide your time! :)
Photo of Krishna Prasad

Krishna Prasad

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Stefan what is the maximum distance supported by this 802.11ac indoor access points

• 70 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Krishna,

That depends on so many factors that I cannot answer this directly. Some of the elements that come into play are the following:

- What band will you use? 2.4 carries a lot further than 5, but is limited both in performance and channels.
- What is the intended usecase for the WiFi? If we know that we can determine the type of antenna to use.
- What environment are you going to use the AP in? Walls, windows and other types of structure will have a major impact here.

If you tell me a bit more, I'll try and answer as accurately as possible.

Cheers,

Stefan

• 70 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Oh and the easy answer being here ofcourse: About as far as an 802.11N AP.
Photo of Andrew MacTaggart

Andrew MacTaggart, Champ

• 483 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
i would just add
that dot ac is only on 5Ghz

APs will have 2.4Ghz b/g/n radio
and a 5Ghz a/n/ac radio

get yourself a copy of
802.11ac: A Survival Guide by Matthew Gast

Assuming perfect conditions in a quiet environment the highest level of throughput for ac client will be relatively a small distance and degrading as you move further away from the AP.

according to the Survival guide, 1 AP can cover 200-300 square meters in a dense deployment.

I think 10 to 15 Meters is the range for the 256-QAM with an SNR of 33 at 80Mhz wide channels for max throughput, assuming no other clients and a clean RF environment.

There is an excellent chapter in the survival guide about planning for an dot ac deployment.