802.11k in a mixed environment

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Doesn't Need an Answer
Does anyone have experience with enabling 802.11k with a client base that doesn't fully support it? I know some of the other voice enterprise features i.e. 802.11r will break non-supportive clients badly, but I haven't seen this in my testing with 802.11k. Is it friendlier towards legacy clients?
Photo of J. Goodnough

J. Goodnough, Champ

• 266 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
You're definitely better off offering a dedicated SSID with 802.11k/r/v/w to use Voice-Enterprise features and Protected Management Fames.

If it recall correctly, there are (were? haven't tested recently) compatibility issues with the Quiet IE aspect of 802.11k frames and devices using Intel's 7260-ac.
Photo of J. Goodnough

J. Goodnough, Champ

• 266 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
I agree a dedicated SSID is the way to do it, but it's not really feasible given my environment. Was hoping to be able to enable 802.11k to give the devices on the network that do support it a minor boost. If it makes a difference, the bulk of my device base is MacBooks and iPads of various ages.
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
You could always switch it on and see what breaks...
Photo of J. Goodnough

J. Goodnough, Champ

• 266 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Been debating that!
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
I've just prohibited all 802.11g and 802.11a clients from associating on an educational campus. A few old iPhones (3G / 3GS) have come out the woodwork from this, have said they're no longer supported and need to be replaced.
(Edited)
Photo of J. Goodnough

J. Goodnough, Champ

• 266 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Might implement that soonish, but need to get the ok on that one first, ya know? :-)
Photo of intvlan1shut

intvlan1shut

• 29 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Any ideas as to what might trigger the follwing 2 options to suddenley be checked (as in on) inside Network Policy - SSID - Advanced
Enable 802.11k (Radio Resource Measurement of Wireless LANs)
and
Enable 802.11r (Fast BSS Transition)Note: 802.11r is available only when using WPA2 key management.

I think this may be why my Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 clients are having so much trouble when trying to connect to our AP330s. They don't have any issues connecting to the AP370s.
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
These definitely do cause interop issues with Intel's drivers so you will want them to be off for SSIDs that such clients will be using if-and-until Intel get their act together.

I would have thought that they would only become checked if somebody did so and applied it.
(Edited)
Photo of intvlan1shut

intvlan1shut

• 29 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
That's what I would think but I know I didn't do it and no one else on my team did it (I checked the logs and no one else has logged into HMOL in months). It's not an issue even with both checked/enabled on the AP370s but if it's checked/enabled on the AP330s, then nothing with the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 OR the Centrino Advanced-N 6205 can connect to the AP330s. 

At some point once I've resumed eating, sleeping etc, I'll try to recreate the issue in more of a lab setting with multiple devices with the above two chipsets. 

I've already disabled both options in my SSID (again, no idea how they got enabled) pushed out the config and restarted all the AP330s (more than 600 of them). That alone has already solved osme folks issues but others have reported that they needed to update their wireless nic drivers before they could once again connect. There's a lot that could cause some to need an update and others not to...settings, OS version, etc etc. I'm just glad to (crosses fingers) finally have this nailed down.
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
The AP370s don't support Voice-Enterprise features yet so those checkboxes are currently without consequence/meaning for that AP model. As always, well nearly, it's down to Intel firmware or driver bugs.
(Edited)