6.4r1 DFS channel 116-128 are not broadcasting

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Since upgrading the HM and all APs to 6.4r1 I think there is an issue with the DFS channels 116-128. 

I happened to do an airmaget survey the other day and noticed a good chunk of the APs were missing.  On looking at HM, they were showing as set to 116 and 124 and there were no clients connected on the 5GHz band.

Sometimes, there are clients connected on these channels, but mostly not and I am beginning to think that 30-40% of the deployed APs just stop broadcasting for extended periods.
There are no radar events in the logs which would indicate that this is the cause.

Anyone else seen this issue?  We are in UK and using AP330.

I would rather not disable DFS and then have to use 20MHz channels.  Regrettably, unlike other vendors, there is not the flexibility in Aerohive to simply exclude certain channels in the DFS range......it is all or nothing. :-(

Thanks
Photo of wombat

wombat

• 62 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Mike Kouri

Mike Kouri, Official Rep

• 1030 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Wombat,
I cannot help you with this specific problem other than recommend you contact your reseller or Aerohive support.

Regarding the deficiency in channel selection compared to some of our competitors, we are aware of that and are addressing it in the next major release of HiveOS. Later this year (sorry, cannot be more precise at this point in time) you will be able to specify which channels to include or to exclude.
Photo of wombat

wombat

• 62 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thanks Mike.  We have a support case opened in parallel as well.  Unfortunately right now we have to disable DFS channel support and go to 20MHz width, until this is resolved.
Photo of Eastman Rivai

Eastman Rivai, Official Rep

• 146 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Wombat,

Where do you reside? Channel 120 to 128 are not allowed to be used based on the ETSI latest regulation. They are used by the military organisations. 

Eastman
Photo of wombat

wombat

• 62 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
We are in UK.  So why are the APs choosing to sit on those channels then?  Surely if they are not allowed to broadcast on those then something in the ACSP is broken.
(Edited)
Photo of Eastman Rivai

Eastman Rivai, Official Rep

• 146 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Wombat,

Please follow up the issue with the tech support. It could be a bug.

Eastman
Photo of wombat

wombat

• 62 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
As expected, an ambivalent response from support rattling on about the AP230 even though I have stated the environment is AP330.

They are saying that this is not a bug !!!!

So if I have these AP330 on version 6.3 or 6.1 broadcasting all day long on channel 116-124 with clients connected and then I upgrade it to 6.4 then it stops broadcasting all day.  How is that not a bug?

They say that these channels are not allowed, yet my APs choose to sit on them.  How is that not a bug?
Photo of Nick Lowe

Nick Lowe, Official Rep

• 2491 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
If ACSP selects channel(s) that cannot be used due to regulatory restrictions and the 5 GHz service therefore disappears, that would be, without any doubt, a significant bug.

Who are you dealing with for support?
(Edited)
Photo of Keith McIntyre

Keith McIntyre

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Wombat,

We have seen this issue for the AP330 and it's being investigated. Once confirmed the support ticket you have open will be updated.

Thanks
Photo of Joël Stouwdam

Joël Stouwdam

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Same issue here. Only with the AP230's we cannot select channels 120-128. However we can manualy select the channels by console. So we think its a bug in hivemanager. We are only experiencing this on the AP230.
Our ticket is open and aerohive support is looking for a solution. AP330 are working fine on those channels in our country: the Netherlands.
Photo of wombat

wombat

• 62 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
If I manually set the channel to 116+ or 124+ the ap330 doesn't broadcast.  That's fine, but with acsp I am finding the 40% of the aps are choosing these channels.  The customer's production network is 5GHz only so this is having a serious impact.

In the short term we are disabling DFS, but that means we can only use 20MHz channel widths now. :-(
Photo of Joël Stouwdam

Joël Stouwdam

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Do you use auto channel settings?
Photo of wombat

wombat

• 62 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
yes, auto selection
Photo of wombat

wombat

• 62 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
This is the latest from support

I've noticed that on 6.4r1 the WiFi interfaces on the AP330 seem to flap every 10 minutes.

When the WiFi interface comes back up, the channel goes into the mandatory 10 minute CAC quiet period as governed by the regulations. Once the CAC period has expired you should be able to connect, however in 6.4r1 the interface will flap again which means the SSID may not go into operation mode...

It's basically a big cycle. The interface flaps, then the channel goes through the CAC process. Once that's done the interface flaps again and goes through the CAC process again...

There is no mention of a fix for this in the 6.4r1d release notes either.

Interestingly for one site, we have set static channels for all the aps since there was only 10 of them.  Strangely some do still end up on channel 116 or 124.  I push the policy again and they go back to the channel they should be on. :-(
Photo of wombat

wombat

• 62 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Latest update and good news.

Engineering have confirmed that this issue is fixed in 6.6r1

The 6.6r1 release will include a fix on the AP 121 and AP330 wifi interfaces which will stop them from flapping. I can't say when this update will be officially released, however we anticipate it to be available in mid June

I look forward to the release notes confirming the fix.