2124P mgt0 native vlan hive os 6.1r6

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Should I be seeing the config area for setting the native vlan?

Cheers
A
Photo of Andrew MacTaggart

Andrew MacTaggart, Champ

• 483 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of BJ

BJ, Champ

• 374 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
I believe it depends on which modes you are running on your network policy. When only performing switching, you can only modify the mgt vlan. When routing, you can modify the mgt vlan and native vlan.

Best,
BJ  
Photo of BJ

BJ, Champ

• 374 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
On another note, a 6.1r6 update for the SR2100's didn't come with the rest of the HiveOS's on my HM appliance...

and if I try to load the SR2000 image, it errors out...

I'm curious Andrew, did you have to pull a separate image?

Photo of Andrew MacTaggart

Andrew MacTaggart, Champ

• 483 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
Thanks

Added Bonjour Gateway and the native vlan appeared.

Strangeness

Sorry for the confusion
HiveOS is 6.1r6 for HM
HiveOS is 6.1r4 for switch

previous switch configs all had Bonjour Gateway selected as well.  So never thought if I was just selecting switch only profile I would not be able to change the native vlan.

Cheers for that.
(Edited)
Photo of Brian Ambler

Brian Ambler

• 245 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
BJ, If you read the 6.1r6/a release notes, you will see the supported platforms; the SR2100 series switches were not part of the 6.1r6 release (you'll recall 6.1r4a was released only for the SR2100 series back in March). However, as no switch specific features have been added in 6.1r6, the SR2100 series switches are not missing any enhancements.
(Edited)
Photo of BJ

BJ, Champ

• 374 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
I found this on the support site regarding 6.1r6 on the SR2100's...
https://support.aerohive.com/secur/download_page?id=568

"Please Note: Although Aerohive 2100 Series SR switches can be managed by HiveManager 6.1r6a, the most current version of HiveOS supported is 6.1r4a"

I assume you either meant HiveManager 6.1r6a or Hive OS 6.1r6 on a SR2024(P).

BJ
Photo of Brian Ambler

Brian Ambler

• 245 Posts
  • 126 Reply Likes
Hi Andrew,

No, there is no native VLAN set on a switching only Network Policy as you are merely configuring the VLAN which the switch will use to get to the HiveManager, as well as other intra-hive traffic. There is no need to configure a native VLAN on a switching only Network Policy as either the uplink Access or Trunk ports will have the native VLAN configured. Since different uplink trunk ports could have different native VLANs configured, it wouldn't make much sense to have one global native VLAN specified on the Network Policy.

In case you're curious, here is the Help's definition of the Management VLAN
The management VLAN is for management traffic between Aerohive devices and HiveManager and control traffic among hive members. The VLAN that you specify must match the VLAN ID that is already configured as part of the trunk port on the connecting switch to allow traffic on that VLAN. Types of management and control traffic include CAPWAP, GRE, NTP, SCP, SSH, SNMP, Telnet, TFTP, and Aerohive Cooperative Control messages.
So for Aerohive APs, you would have both the Management and Native VLAN fields, as you do need to tell the AP how to send untagged traffic back to the upstream switch. But for the switch itself, this is already configured on its own trunk ports.

Hope this helps