1 SSID is support 100 clients only?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
If the function room can support 400 clients, I will install 4 units AP230 for this event.

But I found the SSID configuration just support 100 clients only.

So I need to assign 4 different SSID for 100 clients?
Photo of Sun Wei

Sun Wei

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Andrew MacTaggart

Andrew MacTaggart, Champ

• 483 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
you are only going to want max 20 to 25 clients on the 2.4GHz band and at max 30 to 35 clients on the 5GHz band.

the 100 is for the SSID on a specific AP.
Photo of Shail Talati

Shail Talati

• 17 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Thanks Andrew. Your recommended no. Of clients would work. I would characterize this as 100 clients per radio for association (our APs support that). But actual connected clients varies based on the environment and type of traffic.
Photo of Carsten Buchenau

Carsten Buchenau, Champ

• 343 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
To be clear: The max. clients setting inside the SSID profile is per radio. So if you install 4 dual-radio access points, your theoretical max number of clients is 800.

In a real installation, you want to follow Andrew's recommendation, + consider the expected usage. If you believe that not everyone will connect at the same time and the main usage is email and a bit of surfing, you'll be more than fine with 3 AP230. If you want to deliver HD video streaming to 400 concurrent clients, your setup will be a bit trickier, as you should look at band steering, load balancing and disabling low data rates.... and maybe some more fine tuning. A good starting point for such a deployment is always Andrew's High-Density Deployment design guide: